Craig A bolt of lightning struck an electrical pole behind the John Deere dealership west of Craig on Highway 40 at about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, causing electricity to go out on the west side of Craig and beyond, said Jim Chappell, Yampa Valley Electric Association spokesperson.
The single transmission pole supports a double circuit, and when the pole went out so did both circuits. That completely cut power to the Willems sub-station, which feeds all of Craig west of Ranney Street, and to the Maybell sub-station, which feeds power from there to Maybell, Chappell said.
"It just disintegrated the pole," he said.
Craig residents and businesses lost power until about 4:30 p.m. Chappell said Maybell most likely would remain dark until 10 or 11 p.m. because, to reboot that system, YVEA needs to replace the electrical pole.
In Craig, the electric company can divert some electricity from other avenues and restore power.
Division of Wildlife to host Hunter Safety Class
The Colorado Division of Wildlife will sponsor a week-long Hunter Safety Class later this month. The class will begin at 6 p.m. Sept. 24 at St. Michael Catholic Church, 678 School St., in Craig.
For more information or to reserve your seat, call 824-3628.
Moffat County High Homecoming news
The annual Moffat County High School homecoming parade is Friday, Sept. 21, 2007, on Yampa Avenue and Victory Way.
The parade will begin at 1:30 p.m. Everyone is invited to attend.
For safety reasons, all adults with children are asked to keep youths out of the street.
Anyone who wishes to enter a float in the parade can pick up an application at Moffat County High School or call Sheila Pluym or Dave Grawbowski at 824-7036. All entries must follow the theme of "Centennial - 100 Years of Craig."
The application deadline is Sept. 18. There is a $30 entry fee. A reminder: It is in violation of Craig City Ordinance to throw candy.
The annual MCHS Homecoming Bonfire is at 9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 20.
MCHS Homecoming Dance is Saturday, Sept. 22. The dance is for MCHS students. Guest must have a form filled out and approved by Friday. Sept 21.
Horizons Casino Night fundraiser Saturday
The Horizons Casino Night fundraiser is at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Holiday Inn of Craig.
Tickets cost $75 and includes a buffet and $50 worth of gaming chips to play poker, Texas hold 'em, black jack, roulette, craps and slots. There also will be a silent auction.
The proceeds will benefit Horizons Specialized Services, a Northwest Colorado agency that provides support and services to individuals with developmental disabilities.
Baggs bank celebrates fifth year of business
Summit National Bank in Baggs, Wyo., is celebrating its fifth year of business in the Little Snake River Valley from 3 to 6 p.m. Wednesday with a free community barbecue to highlight the occasion.
Both LSRV and Craig residents are invited to attend.
Summit National Bank will be showcasing its upgraded facilities, which includes a drive-through lane and drive-up ATM. The bank also is asking all ranchers or anyone with a brand to bring it in to place their brand on the bank.
Bank branding starts at 4 p.m.
National Safety Council holds poster contest
The National Safety Council, in partnership with the U.S Environmental Protection Agency, is sponsoring a Radon Poster Contest for children ages 9 to 14 enrolled in a public, private, territorial, tribal, Department of Defense or home school.
Members of a sponsoring club, such as a scouting organization or art, computer, science or 4-H Club, also are eligible. There is no entry fee, and only one entry per student is allowed. The entry deadline is Oct. 15.
Poster topics must include one of the following subjects: what is radon, where does radon come from, how does radon get into our homes, radon can cause lung cancer or test your home for radon. Winners and runners-up in each category and from each state and territory will be entered in the national contest.
The winning national poster will be unveiled at an awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., in January 2008, and will be reproduced and distributed nationally. The national winner, a parent and a teacher or sponsoring organization's representative will win an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C., to participate in the ceremony.
"Radon awareness is particularly important in Colorado," said Joe Vranka, radiation program manager for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. "Fifty-two out of the state's 64 counties are at high risk for radon, a colorless, odorless, tasteless radioactive gas that is the second-leading cause of lung cancer."
More information about contest entries can be found at www.nsc.org/issues/radon. For more information about radon, see www.cdphe.state.co.us/hm/rad/radon/index.htm.