Craig resident Darwin Vesely displays the antlers from his prize mule deer. Vesely's kill measure's 203 inches. The Moffat County record is 197.

Photo by Hans Hallgren

Craig resident 'bags the big one' on hunting trip

— It's not supposed to be this easy.

Hunting is all about tracking the animal, staking it out, researching its habits and finding out its routines.

Hunting is about skill, stealth and strategy.

In the early morning of Nov. 3 - the first day of the third rifle season - Darwin Vesely didn't utilize any of the aforementioned techniques.

There was no research or tracking.

No stalking, no watching.

"I did everything wrong," Vesely said. "But it sure worked out."

The lifetime Craig resident bagged "the big one."

Vesely shot and killed what could possibly be the biggest mule deer in Moffat County history.

Vesely's prize, a typical mule deer, measured in at a net of 203 inches. The current Moffat County record is a net of 197. The world record is 226.

Vesely will find out if he official set the record after the ruling from the Colorado Division of Wildlife in about 90 days.

His deer easily broke another record by stumbling into the path of Vesely's .280 Remington rifle.

The total circumference at the base of the antlers of his deer measured 6 1/8 inches. The current world record is 5 1/8 inches.

All of this, and it only took a little more than 50 years.

He had been hunting since he could walk. His father had taken him hundreds of times.

His first kill was at the ripe-old-age of 13.

Vesely was about to turn his hunting license in.

He had just turned 63 years old, recently gone through a divorce and moved in with his 94-year-old mother.

He was about to end it. Pack away the Remington.

"I went out for muzzle season a few weeks ago," he laughed and said. "I had a cow in my sights and decided I didn't want to shoot. I haven't been in the mood lately."

Fortunately for Vesely - and unfortunately for the mule deer - his brother-in-law, Michael Coleman, was.

"My brother-in-law came and picked me up at 6 in the morning." Vesely said. "I didn't want to go, but I did. Boy, am I glad."

The pair drove to game management unit 2, "the Douglas Mountain area" referred to by Vesely.

He found a spot he wanted to turn off the road into.

Coleman passed it.

Vesely then wanted to turn right.

Coleman turned left.

He passed what he called two "smaller bucks," then three more.

"I have a five-pointer at home," he said. "I wasn't going to stop until I saw something worth it."

He didn't see it, but Coleman did.

"The buck was following a doe, walking away from me," Vesely said. "He turned to face me about 300 yards out, and I dropped him. One shot and he was down."

Vesely looked at his watch a few minutes later.

"It was barely past 8," he chuckled and said. "Just about two hours, and I was done. It's not supposed to work like that."

However difficult hunting is supposed to be, Vesely made it look easy.

"I have always wanted to shoot 'the big one'," he said. "I'm going to hang the antlers in the Chamber of Commerce so people can see. I've earned some bragging rights."

Comments

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm just alittle curious about this hunting story. These two guys go out to the Greystone area....one says to go down this road, nope....turn here...nope....pass up other deer...honorable.

Out there......WOW!!! Huge buck deer. Uh....I'm just having these thoughts that this monster buck was spotted from the truck while these two guys were driving to some sort of destination in mind...not after they had gotten out of the truck and walked to a stand or stalking deer.

I'm having serious doubts that this deer was shot legally....given that a hunter must be what? Fifty feet or so off of a road way??? Or worse.....using the trunk as a rifle rest??!!

Guess we'll never know....but I'm sure that Mr. Vesely will say he was. Only Mr. Vesely and his brother-in-law will absolutely know for certain of these facts. But having watched so many so-called ethical hunters bend the rules so often {or using a more simple term called cheating}....I would have to have been there to believe this legal take of a genetically superior buck that should have been left to breed.

And yes fellow readers...I hunt as well...so don't start on the anti-hunting bashing!!! There are simply times that a camara works far better than a 30-06!!!

Have fun with this eh??!!

justice4all 6 years, 5 months ago

One should not make assumptions at risk of hurting anothers feelings or reputation!!! If you have facts the DOW would sure like to know. If you do not please hold your comments. Sure sound like ENVY to me . I am a hunter and I am happy for this hunter. I would like to bag a buck as nice some day. QUESTION: Would you have taken a photo or a shot? Be HONEST with yourself and with us. We are waiting for your reply or maybe a retraction.

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm way past the ego factor justice4all......I don't even purchase buck or bull tags anymore...have you ever tried to eat a bull elk or mature buck? Not the best!

And that's right....I carry a camara with my most of the time I'm out in the wild parts of Colorado. And I "HAVE" past up mature animals in my past!

People need to stop watching hunting T.V. shows as well...because what these shows push is the "KILL"!!! Why not let the Mule deer prosper and rebuild thier numbers?

hunterforlife 6 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Vesley
"CONGRADULATIONS" What an outstanding animal. I would have shot too and taken pictures later. I'm glad this buck will stay in Moffat County and not go out of state. cantstandtexans needs to get a grip

Brokebackbonehead 6 years, 5 months ago

It's a tragedy that Mr./Mrs./Ms./It "cantstandtexans" has yet to master the English language, yet chooses to pontificate from His/Her/It's perch regarding the alleged rights and wrongs of Vesley's actions.

Here are a few spelling and grammatical tips:

camera instead of "camara" passed instead of "past" their rather than "thier" "me" rather than "my" Bracket in the following manner: ( ), not { }.

And yes, old bucks and bulls are hardly the best eating. But, as a component of sausage, it makes little difference.

And one other little thing, Mr./Mrs./Ms./It. You stated that the two gentlemen were navigating the Greystone area in a pickup truck. You then asserted that the hunter in question may have used the "trunk" as a rifle rest. Interesting!

Perhaps you would be kind enough to inform the rest of the readership which of the varied manufacturers of pickup trucks provides to the buying public a pickup truck that comes with a "trunk", even as an "option" rather than "standard equipment". Then again, as with most of your inane commentary, perhaps the use of the word "trunk" was simply an error on your part. And as a curiousity, have you considered the use of a "comma" occasionally as a tool of grammatical mechanics rather than your apparent obsession with pressing the .............................. key?.

Perhaps if you were able to use both the native language and the tools available on the keyboard with reasonable competency, your arguments may eventually make sense. Perhaps now that the school bond passed, the district may provide some "Adult Education" classes that may be of some assistance in your regard. Cheers!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

By the way Brokebackbonehead...that is what you is.....a complete BONEHEAD!!

You idiots should have your DNA tested to be sure you're not an inbreed....know what I'm say'n??!!!!!!

As for my typing BONEHEAD....It was early in the morning when I was typing on a LAPTOP computer......so BITE ME...ALL OF YOU!!!

I STAND ON WHAT I SAID ABOUT THIS ARTICLE. I've harvested over my life time 8 bucks......10 does....3 bull elk and a few cows as well. let alone the dozen or so antelope!!!!I have nothing to prove to you BONEHEADS!!! Because that is exactly what you less than normal DNA folks are. Better yet...why not move to Texas....your mentality will match those scum bags down to the LONE STAR STATE!!!

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!cantstandtexans, if you don't like hunting, that's okay by me, but leave those of us alone who enjoy hunting alone. For some, it's more than a sport or a way of life, it's a very inportant way of putting food on the table. If it's a record buck or bull, so what? No reason to go off on Mr. Vesley. Some people try to be happy for someone who gets a trophy buck. Others try to impose their beliefs on others. I guess your post shows which you are. Lighten up. If you don't like hunting, don't go, but quit trying to impose your beliefs of everyone else. You should go work for the ACLU.

kitzhopper 6 years, 5 months ago

I just want to congratulate Darwin on a record head. They are few and far between these days and it's pure luck when you find one and are able to down it. As the child of a record head holder in Moffat County, I am pleased to know there are still some of those "big ole boys" out there. Killing one of them won't diminish the population. It may even allow another buck to become "the big boy"! Way to go, Darwin!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Finale comment on this issue.....I have enjoyed hunting for many years.....I'm satisfied with my past results of my huting adventures...I really am! I'm just not so hell bent on killing animals like I use to be......I've taken more animals than the majority of others in America. I've had the luxury of hunting in Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, Oregan, Idaho and many areas of Colorado.

I've befriended others that have hunted Africa and Asia....and had ample opportunities to to go to Africa...invited no less at no charge!!!

But now that I've done all this killing....for myself thank you....I just can't see all the hype about hunting flowing from so-called hunting celebrities on sports channels! I'm not gonna kill an animal and then "DONATE" the meat to charity. Antlers fall off every year people....annual growth....right?! Does a person who kills a large antlered Buck or elk...even an antelope, makes themselves a beter so-called hunters than someone who may have never even taken a buck or bull, but has mastered the art of pure hunting?

I think not! Though in some respects I congradulate Mr. Vesely on this take of a rather rare large antlered buck....it truly means nothing....NOTHING!!!

You or I can hunt all year long with photography equipment and find many fine antlered beast. Stalk them with full camo...learn thier habits and movements. Need I say more?

I've had some fine animal heads mounted.....what does that say about me? I'm on some kind of male hormone quest? I'm a better hunter than you? Howbeit I doubt that Mr. Vesely is trying to gain fame by taking this animal...he was just in the right place!

Congrads Mr. Vesely.

chelbel 6 years, 5 months ago

So is "cantstandtexans" a "mighty hunter" turned "animal rights activist" ? Should we all be happy for your reformation? How pathetic! You've shown your character by not only assuming the worst about people you don't even know, but then verbalizing it too. How about... if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. I know Mr. Vesely & Mr. Coleman personally and can voutch for their integrity and honesty and can assure you there was nothing illegal about this kill. I'm happy for them both - they are two wonderful, good men who deserved such a blessing. Congratulations!!!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey chelbel....SCREW OFF! If you cannot understand what I'm stressing....which I doubt you can.....I really do not care what you or anyone else thinks about me!! Bunch of low lifes anyways. I will say this once more.....IF ANYONE THINKS THAT HUNTING IS ALL ABOUT KILLING....THEN YOU MUST BE EITHER FROM TEXAS OR YOU APPROVE OF THE TEXAS MENTALLITY!!!! SO MOVE TO TEXAS AND GET THE HELL OUT OF COLORADO!!!!!!! WHIMPS!

When a normal person starts to see thru all the hype...which I'm saying normal....killing is not important! AND BY THE WAY DUMBIES....I'VE TAKEN TWO ANIMALS ALREADY THIS SEASON!!

Have your brains examined if possible...and simply take a look at the way people begin to act when hunting season comes around....more so on out of state hunters...particularely TEXANS AND SOUTHERN INBREDS!!! SO AGAIN....SCREW OFF CHELBEL!!!! OR ANY OF THE REST OF YOUALL...KNOW WHAT I'M SAY'N???!!!! Probably not.

chelbel 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey cantstandtexans... I perfectly understand what you were "stressing" but my point was - you read an article and made some pretty lame assumptions by the way it was written. Fact is: He's a local (not an out of stater or a southerner or a Texan or a poacher or a trophy head hunter) born and raised here who will eat every bit of the meat. You should be happy that some trophy hunter out-of-stater didn't get it or better yet, a poacher. And it's perfectly okay for him to be a bit proud of it. know what i'm say'n???!!!! Probably not.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

cantstandtexans-why dont you go sit in your corner and pout? You call everyone low lifes and act like a complete moron! You put down Darwin and Micky for hunting, and then say you have got two this season? Then you tell us to get out of Colorado? Where are you from? I'll bet most of us are Colorado natives, who have been here alot longer than you. If you want anyone to take you seriously, then get real! Who Pi$$ed in your wheaties anyway?

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

DO YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW WHO MR. VESELY IS???!!!!!!!! shish!

chelbel 6 years, 5 months ago

Guess it's just jealousy then..........!!! shish!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey grannyrett.....if you cannot understand from the comments on this article...from the very beginning....you can shove it up your ace!!!!! Know what I'm say'n???!!! Obviously...not nor any of these others that have ridiculed me can begin to understand common sense....again...pure idiots!!! Think I can't throw some feces around harder than you???!! Think again.

I've never put anyone down for hunting....you little minded people....just the reason behind MOST so-called hunters! I will state this once more for any of you late comers into this on going parlay of words......anyone who takes a wild animal to enjoy a hopefully organic meat and taking this animal by his/hers on hands...I comment them for this.

But anybody.....and that includes myself in my own past...takes/kills any animal for the sake of showmanship...you know...male/female hormone quest...better stated...for nothing more than ego...then it is wrong beyond all reason. AND BY THE WAY SIMPLETONS...I NEVER STATED...NOT ONCE THAT MR. VESELY TOOK THIS ANIMAL FOR THE SAKE OF MAKING SURE HE HAS A BIGGER PENIS THAN OTHER MALES!!!! DID I?????!!!!!! HELL NO I DIDN'T!!

This website can ban me off of here...I REALLY COULD CARE LESS!!! Why do I waste my time even trying to state logical facts to people who can't reason.

So with this...beloved residents of Moffat County Colorado....lock up your minds some more. Change has come to your neck of the woods....and you cannot stop this movement. All that will and is happening to most of you is that you'll be left behind ecomonically. And that's a fact!! ADIOS TO ALL...THIS HAS BEEN REALLY HUMOROUS ACTUALLY. GOD.....HAS IT!

VIA CON DIOS! Oh....or should I say....SEE YA!!!!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

One more thing...if you criticize me for me non capitalized words in my last...I'll say this again...last comments....I previewed this last comment and all words were capitalized where needed. But the website did not post it that way. So just to let you know...I'll not slide into deep depression because of what ya'll think of little ol' me!!!! TODALU!!!

CindyLou 6 years, 5 months ago

This has to be the most stupid post I have ever read. My husband hunts and no one cares if he hunts for antlers or meat. He is third generation Coloradoan and to my understanding when he is standing at the urinal in the men's room it seldom comes up in conversation. I am pretty sure each of you went to the elementary on school street because you all must have eaten too many lead paint chips. Even if he was near a road when he shot the buck big deal. I think everyone is guilty of that crime at one time or another. When you are trying to feed a family the last thing you worry about is if you are exactly 50 feet off the road. I bet each of you must drive a big four-wheel drive and shoot a 375 H&H to kill what would only take a 270 (Are you compensating for something? and I aint talking about bad driving and bad shoot'n) This board shouldn't have even gotten off the ground let a lone had anyone comment on it after the first stupid remarks. In my oppinion all's ya'all is just as stupid as the next guy.

Signed; Granny with a gun.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

cantstandtexans can't stand anybody else either. How sad that some people have to be nasty all the time. What a pitiful life it is to be mad at everyone all the time.

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Who cares what you think CIIIIIIIIIIINDYLOU!!!!!! Just for kids...I'm gonna let you in on a medical fact. I HAVE A DOCUMENTED I.Q. OF PLUS 137!!!!!!!!! Whats yours????!!!!!!

DUMBY!!!!! You're in the same boat as far as mentallity. I hunt with a standard 30-06....drive a non jacked (You know...factory wheels and tires....UNDERSTAND??? Or do I need to draw a flash card picture for you as well?) on a small four wheel drive.

I'm having a blast reading the daily comments that are added....and howbeit I said I was not gonna check back....it's the stupidity of the likes of you CiiiiiiiiiiiindyLou...that I keep checking back in.

Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside!!!!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm actually amazed on why this website can't post my words that I "HAVE" captitolized! Just to not give any ammo that I have already given to some of ya'll.

Have fun adding more so-called insults at me...I love it!!!

CindyLou 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey Tex P.S. My IQ is a "medically documented" 138+. What's yours again? Keep on keep'n on.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

cantstandtexans may have a high I.Q. but it doesn't seem to stand in the way of his being a total moron. Hey Tex, where are your hateful comments on Garrett getting his first buck? It was a three point, and he's really proud of it. Why aren't you slammin' this wonderful young man? Where is all the venom? How can you stand living in a town full of inbreds? Maybe you should go somewhere where you would be more intellectually stimulated. This in-bred little town is just a silly bunch of people who like to see our neighbors and friends do well. We are happy when they succeed and like to let them know it. We don't spew hate and venom.

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey CiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiindyLou.............You're a freak'n lier!!!!! And that's right...I have "MEDICALLY" (NO SUCH THING AS medically documented I.Q....medical doctors do not conduct I.Q. test....dumbies!!!) verified I.Q. of plus 137!!!

And Grannyrett.....I am not a freak'n TEXAN!!!!! Howbeit.....you sound just like one I will say. Arrogance with stupidity....what a combo. And tell me this....with all of the drug problems and drunks living in the Craig area.....makes one real proud to say that all residents of Craig and the surrounding area are fine people. They are plenty ofdrunks and drug users around Craig. Oh...I see it now...bet you're gonna come back and say that "I" said all residents of the Craig area are druggies and drunks. And "you" call me a moron.

I've got things to do...so you two keep up the sludge flowing from your brains....what little intelligence that you "MAY" have....try and put it to better use.................BYE!!.

CindyLou 6 years, 5 months ago

Tex, This is what you posted earlier " ...Who cares what you think ciiiiiiiiiiindylou!!!!!! Just for kids:I'm gonna let you in on a medical fact. i have a documented i.q. of plus 137!!!!!!!!! Whats yours????!!!!!!" So is your IQ a medical fact or a medically documented fact?You said your IQ was documented and medical, so why can't mine be a medically documented fact?

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. Just appologise to the nice Mr. Vesely and admit you are a dumb mule without equin DNA and then go enroll in some courses at CNCC. Then we can make a deal that the world will quit makeing fun of you if you quit interupting the grown ups at adult's table. We will also promise not to violate your fortress of solitude bed room down in the basement of your mom's house to interupt you playing with your beanie babies and J.I Joes. Does that sound like a fair deal?

p.s. Are you sure it wasn't a negative 137?

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey CindyLou-We don't want Tex to leave. Who else can prove his own point-inbred, drunk, druggies? Yes, we all know people who drink, and we probably all know someone who uses drugs-sad to say, but even those people don't spew such venom. I'm not a Texan, but I have known some very fine ones. I am not a Canadian, but I have some friends who are. You find more good than bad if you just look for it. Tex just thinks he is the sharpest knife in the drawer-that probably just went over his head. I just hope to God that he isn't a teacher or someone in any kind of service position. But no-he is such a genius he probably sits in the corner, sucking his thumb, trying to figure a new put down for you and me. What a life! You can't argue with a moron and expect to win, but it sure is fun to get him going!

cantstandtexans 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh God.....I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooo depressed that someone would say such horrible things about me....God....what I'm I to do????!!!!!!!!

How about take a nap....I sleep really well. And yup...I really am pretty much a sharp dude!!

Thanks for the compliment there!!

nativegirl 6 years, 5 months ago

It appears that being super-duper intelligent isn't all it's cracked up to be if intelligent people can't figure out a nice way to communicate.

Not pitching boulders at anyone in particular, but come on, being a good person is still a lot more valuable in my book than having a high IQ. (And mine isn't too shabby but I'd rather treat people decently than to go around being negative with all that intellect going to waste.)

My mom always said if you have to use lousy language and insult people it was more of a reflection on one's lack of intelligence than on the person being insulted. (And she's no mental slouch either.) Just for the record I'm not inbred, don't believe that most of the people in Craig are drugging or drinking, and think this sort of nasty exchange makes us look bad as a community, especially when I know from dealing with the public on a daily basis that Craig is simply not full of sharp-tongued, nasty tempered people. Most people here are pretty darned nice and will go out of their way to help just about anyone they can.

Obviously we will have disagreements in opinion. Maybe if we put our self-proclaimed high-level IQs together we can come up with a way to express our differences without all of the negativity, drop the name-calling and discuss issues politely.

Just something to think about.

CindyLou 6 years, 5 months ago

You are right nativegirl. I will try and only provide our Little Einstein with positive words. I should probably not make any more comments since having just been informed of the true identity of our little handicapped friend:) it could prove a little embarassing for him. But cantstandrex If you want to be a little anonymous Pecos Bill make sure you don't tell anyone who you are, cause no one can keep a secret. Also, my name would best be pronounced CindyLouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Besides, Texass I can care less if you are insulted, entertained, or indiferent, the newspaper said people should volunteer their time and work with someone handicapped from Horizons Specialized Services. Since I am a giving person, I feel like my time spent with candstandCOTEX is a way to give back to society. If we can just help one of these "special" people it helps lift the whole community.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Native girl, we all have different points of view, and the ability to voice those opinions is what make this a great country. BUT-We do not have to be obnoxious doing it. That just shows that we are sitting on our brain instead of using it. If cantstandtexans doesn't like hunting or those who hunt, that is okay with me. BUT-when he gets nasty voicing his opinion, he gets what he deserves. His Mama should have taught him some manners.

Personally, I'm surprised the Editor has allowed him to carry on the way he has. I don't have a clue who this person is, but I think he's gotten way out of hand and should be banned from any further posting.

grannyrett 6 years, 5 months ago

Lonelyone-I agree with you. I should probably stop rising to the bait, but dang it-it just really ticks me off that he puts down two really great guys. To suggest that Darwin or Micky would take an animal just for the rack is the ultimate in stupidity. I used to be Mickey's neighbor. My son and Micky's son were best friends. My son spent a lot of time hanging out with them. They are some of the best people I have ever met. To slander them just to feed his over-inflated ego is just wrong. To make those kind of comments when he doesn't even know the guys is just wrong. If he knew them, he would be happy for Darwin. He is so rabid that I'm surprised he hasn't spread his venom to the article about Garrett. That little man has a real prize and we should all be happy for him. I can't imagine how proud he must feel. I'll bet he is still walking on air. It's wonderful that parents care enough about their kids to take them out hunting and teach them the right way to do it. As someone who was raised in a hunting family, I know the pride of shooting my first buck. I started out shooting cottontails when I was six. It wasn't just a sport. We never shot anything that we didn't eat. We know that taking an animals life is a very sacred thing and we didn't sport hunt. I have never known anyone who sport hunts. My father worked construction and never had work in the winter. With six kids to feed, we ate a lot of deer and elk. If a nice big one came along, we got it. I just can't understand the venom from cantstandtexans.

CindyLou 6 years, 5 months ago

cantstandCOTEXans is ust another example of why its jimportant for parents to monitor what their children are doing on the internet.

jraehal 6 years, 5 months ago

Greetings, When this post first began, there was debate about hunting issues. I want to thank everyone for his and her comments. However, this forum has turned into a diatribe of people attacking and insulting one another. I think we are to the point where people will need to agree to disagree. Further posts on this forum without some value toward a debate about an issue will be removed. Again, I thank everyone for comments.

Jerry Raehal Craig Daily Press editor

Jerry, thank you for putting a stop to some of this. I don't know who this cantsandtexans is nor do I understand why he got so carried away on his comments, but I'm glad you got involved and got a handle on this.

sdeyo 6 years, 5 months ago

I just had to chime in on this one. Mr Cantstand states in the third post " i don't even buy buck or bull tags anymore" and then in the eleventh post he states " ive taken two animals already this season". Are we to believe that our great protector from the people from the fine state of Texas has hunted illegally? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mr. Cantstand accuse Mr. Vesley of doing something illegal? Sounds like Cantstand is the one who is hunting illegally and should be prosecuted. But I'm sure he will not have the cojones to come out from behind his key board and tell us who he really is so the DOW can pay him a visit.