Wal-Mart opens today

Past Event

Wal-Mart Grand Opening

• Wednesday, November 7, 2007, 7 a.m.
  • (One-off place), Chicago, IL
  • All ages / Free

— Months of anticipation from business leaders, politicians and retail customers ends in Craig today.

The Wal-Mart SuperCenter storefront is prepared for an expected deluge of shoppers - shoppers eager for anything from clothes to staplers to frozen fish sticks.

The store's 99,611 square feet and 265 employees offer a bakery and deli, pharmacy, one-hour photo lab and cell phone department, in addition to its retail stock.

Store Manager Lou Groff is eager to open the store, she said.

"We're very excited," Groff said. "The community has been extremely welcoming, and we're ready. Our shelves are stocked, and we're ready to be an asset to the community."

The Grand Opening ceremony kicks off at 7 a.m., and is planned to be "short and sweet." The store will let in customers at 7:30 a.m.

At the ceremony, Wal-Mart representatives plan to raise the American flag, hold a 21-gun salute and play the national anthem before giving a short thanks to the community.

The store will also present $37,000 in donation checks to city and local groups.

Recipients include Craig Fire/Rescue, the Lions Club, the Boys & Girls Club of Craig, Colorado Northwest Community College, the Craig Police Department, the Craig Chamber of Commerce and the Moffat County School District.

The School District will receive $15,000, the largest contribution.

Giving money to a new community is common for Wal-Mart stores entering a new area, Groff said.

After today, the Craig SuperCenter plans to be open 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week.

Collin Smith can be reached at 824-7031, ext. 209, or cesmith@craigdailypress.com

Comments

Taylor 6 years, 9 months ago

Just wonderful - we have a great future ahead. Craig is finally emerging from the Dark Ages. I am thrilled to see the majority of the people have taken an interest in the community. This is excellent on so many levels.

bigrred1576 6 years, 9 months ago

Welcome Wally World. I look forward to a few trips down you aisle's

katobe 6 years, 9 months ago

What a welcoming gift to Craig from Wal-Mart. $37,000 for our community!!!

1234 6 years, 9 months ago

nice to see some comments from the craig area!

justice4all 6 years, 9 months ago

Congradulations to Wal-Mart and welcome to our town. It will be nice to have a great place to shop that we can walk or ride our bikes to.

nativegirl 6 years, 9 months ago

It is a good feeling isn't it? I'm glad people have shown they want to invest in our little city.

Taylor 6 years, 9 months ago

I spent 4 hours browsing and shopping - it was great. I was a little disappointed that a fabric dept was not included and there was not the usual selection of women's socks. It was wonderful to shop with some excited employees that had customer service in mind. A great addition to the community.

grannyrett 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't understand. Low paying? My sister-in-law started working there and is making a pretty good wage. More than K-Mart pays. After being there a while, you can get insurance. That is better than the majority of businesses in Craig. I guess if you work at the power plant or one of the mines, you have insurance, but for the rest of us, there were very few jobs that offer insurance. As for the products they sell-name brand items. You have to be a selective shopper no matter where you shop. Get over it Cindy Lou. It's as easy as if you don't like it, don't go there, but as for the rest of us-it's about time! Welcome to Craig Wal-Mart!

CindyLou 6 years, 9 months ago

Low paying jobs with no benefits, cheap foreign products that break ten minutes after you get them home, putting businesses that support families out of business. Walmart - Welcome to Craig!

vic 6 years, 9 months ago

Personally, I like having a choice. I shopped both K Mart and WalMart today and was thrilled that I was not forced to buy at only one store. I do hope KMart will not be driven out of business and I would like to see more Sears merchandise coming in. In addition, I will still shop the local merchants...some things you just cannot buy at the Big Box retailers. The things I buy from "the Marts" are not even available from the locals, so I don't know what the big worry is. Growth is a good thing if done properly.

CindyLou 6 years, 9 months ago

I agree Vic. Wal-Mart sometimes feels like a necessary evil. Many small communities block them from comming because of the impact it can have on other areas of the community. It is almost expected that K-Mart will go out of business, but many also believe this town can't keep three super markets. If K-Mart and one of the supermarkets go out of business we will have two big, ugly, empty building in our town that will be used by either a car dealership or a second hand store. It seems like the east side of town is going to become a ghost town while progress takes place on the west end. My house is across from east elementary and I am sure property value on this side of town will be flat as things develop on that side of town. I guess I am just an old lady with concerns that the town I grew up in will end up loosing the small town feel that is the reason most of us live here.

vic 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't see this new growth spurt as the old "boom and bust" of yesteryear. I agree and also love the small town ambience of Craig, however, we do need to keep up with the growth in population and make Craig a desirable place to live, raise families and retire. I would NOT want to see things change here as they have in Steamboat. I do not call that progress, I call it greed. I believe we have enough people to keep WalMart, KMart, Safeway, City Market, the (coming) Walgreens AND the locals in business. And a little competition can be a good thing - for consumers. I know if I cannot find something in town, I shop online. I would really rather spend my money in my own town.

I think this little growth spurt is a great thing for Craig. I see property values rising, not declining.

GreyStone 4 years, 10 months ago

Went shopping at Wal-Mart today and marveled at all the happy, contented, well paid employees: the Wal-Mart employee might have the most secure job in Craig, not to mention America.

What a great place to shop.

Sumarjn 4 years, 10 months ago

Wal-Mart is facing the largest gender discrimination lawsuit in history-involving 1.5 million women. The company is deeply engaged in talks to settle the case for obvious reasons: it's guilty as hell. The depositions in the lawsuit, detailed in Liza Featherstone's new book, Selling Women Short, make it crystal clear that the company, as a matter of policy, consistently broke the most basic laws of workplace equality.

Before you comment, you might want to GOOGLE Walmart crimes/ lawsuits and etc.?