Commissioners select new Maybell fire board
In other action
• Signed medical billing agreement with Iris Medical, Inc. for Maybell Ambulance billing services
• Signed operating agreement with Yampa Valley Sportsmen's Riders Club on Motocross Track
• Opened 21 county surplus auction bids
Craig A new advisory board was appointed to the Maybell Volunteer Fire Department Tuesday as the Moffat County Commissioners appointed five applicants to vacant positions.
Linda Taylor, Bonnie Burkett, Lois Stoffle, Sherrie Johnson and Tonya Stoffle were selected to the Maybell Volunteer Fire Department Advisory Board.
Former board and fire chief Dave O'Conor resigned at the June 13 meeting after Maybell residents voted to put the volunteer department under the control of Moffat County rather than becoming an independent entity.
"We're starting with a completely new board," commissioner Tom Mathers said. "We're sending them some guidelines and hope to meet with them next week."
Commissioners also adopted a resolution setting initial goals for the advisory board during Tuesday's meeting.
The resolution proclaims - that by the request of the citizens - the Maybell Volunteer Fire Department will operate under Moffat County and will be governed by the commissioners through advise of the Maybell Volunteer Fire Department Advisory Board.
Initial duties being asked of the board include:
• Advising the commissioners as to the primary role of the volunteer department regarding wildfires, structure fires and ambulance assistance calls.
• To define the Maybell department's response boundaries and determine minimum training standards.
• To begin work establishing a budget for the fire department, and determine if water storage is adequate for the town's fire suppression.
The advisory board will also begin recruiting firefighters for the department.