Bulldogs net win, tie against rival


The Moffat County Bulldog club hockey team earned a win and a tie in two games against division rival Oak Creek on Friday night.

The Bulldogs beat the Kodiaks, 7-3, with the help of Bo Boatright's hat trick in the first game. The second game ended in a 3-3 tie.

"It would have been great to come out with two wins but we did help our league standings with three points," coach Jay Oxley said. The team earns two points for a win and 1 for a tie.

In the first game, the Bulldogs came out slow, and the Kodiaks took advantage when David Hess scored for Oak Creek at 6:56 in the first period.

The Bulldogs responded, when, 1:46 later, Bulldog Colt Criswell found the back of the Kodiaks net with an assist from defensemen Mark Oxley. During the next 5 minutes, the Bulldogs scored two more goals -- from Boatright and Scott Smith, respectively -- to end the first period, 3-1.

The Kodiaks opened the scoring at 1:33 in the second period, when Larry Delamater scored off an assist from Ray Olson.

Again the Bulldogs responded, putting pressure on Kodiak goalie Jake Corporan. Bulldog Thayne Anderson put the puck pass Corporan with an assist from Cole Dubois, which ended the second period with the Bulldogs up, 4-2.

Great defense from both teams kept the first half of the third period scoreless, until Boatright added another goal with an assist from co-captain Mark Oxley.

The Kodiaks kept it close as Pat Daley scored at 6:47. With the Bulldogs up, 5-3, late in the third, Moffat County winger John Strahan hit a goal in off a wrist shot that found its way between the Kodiak's goalie and the right post. David Wooden got the assist. Boatright finished off the Kodiaks with a hat trick goal, with an assist from Dubois, at 1:55 left in the game to end the game.

"This was Boatright's third consecutive game with a hat trick," head coach Darin Hickey said. "Our leaders are starting to produce, and this will be positive for our upcoming league games."

The Bulldogs out-shot the Kodiaks with 28 shots on goal, while the Kodiaks showed Bulldog goalie Bryce Ponikvar 19 shots.

Before Game 2, coach Art Smith advised the Bulldog players that the Kodiaks "always come out strong in the second game, so be ready."

True to Smith's word, the Kodiaks scored first at 5:39, when Sam Padilla had a breakaway and found the back of the Bulldog net.

Early in the second period, Scott Smith of the Bulldogs received a behind-the-net pass from Joel Pomeroy and put a wrist shot past the Kodiaks' goalie to tie the game.

Less than 1:35 later, Kodiak Kevin Dimmit received a pass from Pat Daley and put Oak Creek up again by one goal to end the second period, 2-1.

In the third, Kevin Dimmit scored to put the Kodiaks up, 3-1. Less than a minute later, Boatright and Anderson teamed up for a goal to put the Bulldogs within one goal. Late in the game, the Bulldogs were short-handed because of penalties and down by one goal. Time out was called and the Bulldogs' coaches coordinated their next move.

With less than 1:30 remaining, they pulled the goalie. Boatright came off the bench to intercept a Kodiak shot toward an empty Bulldog net and power his way toward the Kodiaks' goal. He fired a slap shot that ricocheted off the Kodiak goalie, hustled to get his own rebound and, with a wrist shot, found the upper right-hand corner of the goal to tie the game with 1:18 left.

The game ended in a 3-3 tie.

"If we put more shots on goal, we would have won that game," Smith said. "But the Kodiaks showed some great defense."

The Bulldogs travel to the southern division of the Rocky Mountain League this weekend to take on the Telluride Miners and Gunnison Blades.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.