High school announces Look at Me Now honorees
Sunday, February 11, 2007
- JB Chapman -- Chapman graduated in 1984 and now owns and operates Chapman's Automotive Service Center, Inc. Chapman's was named the Craig Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year in 2005 and Boys & Girls Club of Craig Business of the Year in 2006.
- Carla Relaford Ellis -- After her 1984 graduation from MCHS, Ellis attended Bethany College in Kansas for two years. She earned a Bachelor of Science in 2003. She's worked as a Colorado State Patrol dispatcher, daycare owner and special education teacher. She currently lives in Ridgeway, Mo., and is beginning doctoral studies.
- Gregory Hasler -- Hasler graduated from MCHS in 1986, then from Brigham Young University in Utah with a Bachelor of Science in accounting in 1992 and with Master's of Accountancy in 1992. He worked for Deloitte & Touche in Dallas for seven years before transferring to the company's San Francisco office, where he specializes in leveraged buy-out transactions.
- Tari (Marks) King -- After graduating from MCHS in 1988, King went onto earn a Bachelor of Science in cellular and molecular biology from Tulane University in New Orleans in 1992 and M.D. from the University of Colorado's Heath Sciences Center in 1996. She currently is an assistant professor of surgery for Weil Medical College of Cornell University and assistant attending surgeon for the Department of Surgery at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.
- Corey Peck -- Peck graduated from MCHS in 1989 and Colorado College magna cum laude in 1994 with a Bachelor of Arts in economics and business. Peck founded and manages Lexidyne, LLC, a management consulting firm in Colorado Springs. He won the National Merit Scholar award and Dude Dent Award, both in 1989.
- Ed Winters -- A 1990 MCHS graduate, Winters earned a Bachelor of Science in range ecology from Colorado State University. He worked for Colowyo Coal Co. and the Craig Police Department before becoming the Colorado Northwestern Community College power plant technology program director. He is implementing an industrial electrician program for this fall.
- Matt Ray -- After graduating from MCHS in 1992, Ray went onto graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in elementary education from Spring Arbor University in Michigan in 1997 and a Master of Science from Walden University in Minnesota in 2005. He has served as a special education aide for MCHS and physical education teacher for Hayden Valley Elementary School. He is currently a PE teacher at Ridgeview Elementary School.
- Khristopher Johns -- After graduating from MCHS in 1997, Johns attended the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, from which he earned a Bachelor of Science in marine and environmental science. He specializes in cutter (ship) operations and has worked on cutters in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Johns is currently a lieutenant and patrol boat manager for District 13 in Seattle.
- Troy DeRose -- A 1998 MCHS graduate, DeRose went onto to earn a Bachelor of Arts in fine arts from Mesa State College in 2002. He won first place at the college's Art Show in 2003. He worked at several sign businesses and recorded two albums with The Invisibles before opening his Craig business, Identity Graphic. He is also a Moffat County Young Life volunteer.
- Shannon Schaefer Kessler -- She graduated from MCHS in 1999 and then magna cum laude from Western State College in Gunnison in 2003 with Bachelors of Arts in human biology and organizational communications. She currently attends the Pacific University College of Optometry in Oregon.
- Emily Mortensen -- After her 2001 graduation, Mortensen attended Dakota Wesleyan University in South Dakota for one year on a basketball scholarship. She transferred to Adams State College, from which she earned a Bachelor of Arts in exercise science in May. She is currently working toward her master's degree in health and physical education and training for the 2008 marathon Olympic trials.