Shootout suspect’s trial delayed
Another suspect sentenced to 20 to 30 years in prison
Craig The trial against one of the Craig suspects accused of robbing a bar and shooting at police during a high-speed chase in Wyoming last year was delayed Monday in Natrona County District Court.
Johnathan Milligan, 17, is charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit murder and attempted first-degree murder. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
A Natrona County court clerk said Milligan's trial was delayed because a separate, and unrelated trial, had interfered with court scheduling.
A new trial date had not been set as of Wednesday afternoon.
Milligan is one of six suspects who allegedly robbed a string of Moffat County business last year, and then crossed state lines into Wyoming where they robbed the Sunset Grill and led police on a high-speed chase that included gunfire.
Milligan and three other suspects - James Gore, Steven Liljedahl and Daniel Merwin - are juveniles. All of the teenagers, save for Milligan, have pleaded guilty to criminal charges and are awaiting sentencing.
The other two suspects are adults.
The oldest, Paul Martin Howell, has also pleaded not guilty to charges. His trial was postponed in June so he could undergo a psychiatric evaluation. Howell reportedly told jail personnel he was hearing voices and wanted to hurt himself and others.
The only suspect to have been sentenced thus far is Michael Garren, the other adult accomplice in the alleged robbery spree and shootout.
Garren accepted a plea agreement from prosecutors in exchange for pleading guilty to charges including conspiracy to commit murder. He was sentenced in July to serve no less than 20 years, and no more than 30 years, in the Wyoming State Penitentiary.
He will be given credit for time served so far, about 234 days.
Joshua Roberts can be reached at 824-7031, ext. 210, or firstname.lastname@example.org.