Kmart fire report is a false alarm
Craig Fire/Rescue crews responded to a report of smoke at Kmart at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday.
Fire Chief Chris Nichols said there was a power failure because of a blown fuse on a pole, and businesses in the area lost power for about an hour Saturday morning.
When the fuse was reset, the box inside Kmart had a sudden surge, which overheated the electrical equipment, causing it to smoke.
Nichols said there was no fire, no damage and no injuries.
Memorial Day service at Maybell Cemetery
A Memorial Day service is at 2 p.m. May 29 at Maybell Cemetery.
The service will be conducted by the Craig Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Rev. Linda Taylor. Music will be provided by Betty Morris.
The Maybell Women's Club will provide cookies and drinks after the service.
The public is welcome. Those unable to stand are asked to take chairs.
The club is in its final days of collecting donations for new fence at the cemetery. Construction is scheduled to begin June 1. A donation jar will be available at the Memorial Day service.
Donations also can be mailed to Maybell Women's Club, P.O. Box 63, Maybell, CO 81640. Please indicate that it is for the cemetery fence.