Craig man gets three years for child abuse


A Craig man will serve three years in prison for placing a 2-year-old boy in bath water so hot it caused third-degree burns, a judge ruled this week.

Alfonso Guevara-Nunez, 23, was sentenced Tuesday to three years in the custody of the Colorado Department of Corrections. He will receive credit for 420 days of confinement.

Guevara-Nunez previously had pleaded guilty to child abuse and neglect causing serious bodily harm, a Class 4 felony, for a March 2005 incident involving his girlfriend's son.

Guevara-Nunez's three-year term will be followed by three years of parole.

Guevara-Nunez, a Mexican national in the country illegally, will be deported to Mexico upon his release.

Deputy District Attorney Michael Stern said that during Tuesday's sentencing hearing, Guevara-Nunez's lawyer asked the judge to sentence Guevara-Nunez to two years in prison.

The prosecution asked for three years, Stern said.

Craig police arrested Guevara-Nunez in March 2005, after a doctor reported serious burns on the 2-year-old boy, according to the arrest affidavit.

The burns happened while Guevara-Nunez was babysitting his girlfriend's children, according to the affidavit.

When police originally contacted Guevara-Nunez, he told them the boy had caused the burns himself when he tried to take a bath, according to the affidavit.

Guevara-Nunez later recanted and told police he placed the boy in the bath, according to the affidavit.

Guevara-Nunez said he thought the bath water was a "normal" temperature and that after the bath, Guevara-Nunez dressed the boy and put him on the couch, according to the affidavit.

Guevara-Nunez didn't notice the boy was burned until the boy started screaming, according to the affidavit.

Guevara-Nunez put lard on the boy's legs, which were blistered, before going to a grocery store to buy burn cream, according to the affidavit.

The boy went nine days without the burns being treated by a doctor, according to the affidavit.

When the boy was taken to The Memorial Hospital, doctors determined the burns were so severe that he was taken to The Children's Hospital in Denver.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.