Matt and Tawnya Carter: Faith restored in neighbors after fire

Faith restored in neighbors after fire

To the Editor:

We would like to respond to an article written in last week's paper, "ATVs and lawnmower lost in grass fire."

We wish that was all that was lost. Because of the negligence and carelessness of an irresponsible neighbor, we didn't just lose our all-terrain vehicles and lawnmower. My husband restores classic trucks, and many of those parts that are irreplaceable were in the safety of our yard and now are lost to the fire. We lost many items, but most of all, we have lost the comfort of our home since the fire. The back of our home was burned, and it was filled with smoke. This damage has put us out of our home, and we are camping in our front yard until we are able to move back in.

Even with the down-and-out feelings, there is some good to come of all this. We have met some of Craig's finest citizens and would like to acknowledge a few of them. The passerby who reported the fire to the fire department, thank you. Thanks to the fire department for doing the job they thanklessly do. And we would like to thank David Stene for his fast thinking (and running) in to grab our hose and save our house. We think that if you had not been there, the fire department would have arrived to a very different scene.

What one neighbor thought was a funny situation, others thought had the potential to leave us with nothing. These people restored our faith in "neighbors."

Matt and Tawnya Carter,

Craig

Commenting has been disabled for this item.