Fire destroys ATVs and lawn mower


Damage could reach $25,000 after a barbecuing accident led to considerable damage Wednesday, Craig Fire/Rescue Chris Nichols said.

Emergency crews responded to a grass fire call at 3400 Essex Court at 2:07 p.m. after a passerby noticed the smoke and stopped to help. After notifying the residents inside the home and calling 911, the passerby began extinguishing the blaze with a garden hose.

"Without the quick thinking of the passerby that notified the fire department, it could have sustained considerably more damage" Nichols said.

One structure engine fought the fire from the north side while three brush fire engines worked from Essex Court.

A home to the north side of the originating residence, on Ridgeview Road, sustained melted vinyl siding and two destroyed ATVs and a destroyed riding lawn mower.

"The fire was hot enough that it cracked the window," Nichols said.

A privacy fence for three houses was completely des-troyed. There was no damage to the house where the fire started.

Nichols said grass moisture is "extremely low" right now and that residents should be conscious of the dangers.

"People need to be aware," he said. "Until we start getting more rain, they need to contain burning fire sources."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.