News briefs for Nov. 2

Turner turned out, moves to Granby

Attorney Heather Turner is closing shop in Craig and moving to Granby.

Turner, an aspiring district attorney for the 14th Judicial District, was evicted from her 565 Colorado St. home in October and given until today to move. She plans to be in Granby by Thursday.

Turner did not return calls Tuesday. But a message on her answering machine offered details about her plan.

Turner said earlier that she would stay in Craig whether she was evicted.

Moffat County Court Judge Mary Lynne James ruled Oct. 19 that Country Living Realty could take possession of the property when Realtor Yvonne Gustin presented evidence that Turner had not paid her October rent. A mix-up with the paperwork delayed the decision, but Gustin on Wednesday was able to officially give Turner 48 hours notice of the eviction. Gustin said she extended the deadline at Turner's request.

After the October ruling, Turner said she would offer to pay the delinquent rent and associated fees to "make this whole thing go away."

Gustin said Turner never made the offer but called to say she would be out of the house by Monday.

Turner's $700 deposit and $700 advance payment for her last month's rent should more than cover the $877 Country Living Realty is asking for if there are no damages to the property, Gustin said.

Turner had leased the home until February. Gustin said if she's unable to rent the home, she will ask James to require Turner to pay rent through February.

Turner has said she plans to run for district attorney in 2008. Granby is in the 14th Judicial District, which makes her eligible.

Health officials warn about carbon monoxide

State health officials are urging Coloradans to take several precautions in their homes to prevent exposure to carbon monoxide, principally by installing carbon monoxide detectors and making certain that fuel-burning appliances operate properly.

"Not only is carbon monoxide exposure potentially harmful, about 200 people die each year in the United States from carbon monoxide poisoning associated with home fuel-burning heating equipment," said Susan Parachini, a program manager for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment's Consumer Protection Division.

Parachini recommends homeowners avoid using their ranges or ovens as heat sources, do not use propane or kerosene heaters in the home and check vents and fireplaces regularly.

For more information about carbon dioxide poisoning, call (303) 692-3620.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.