Asbestos concerns have forced Habitat for Humanity to cancel a scheduled cleanup today at the Habitat home in Craig.
Habitat held a similar clean-up last week, but canceled today's because an asbestos inspector would be in the house this week.
Asbestos is harmful to the lungs when it becomes airborne.
Habitat Board of Directors President Melinda Bobo said asbestos could become airborne during the inspection.
According to Moffat County building inspector Pat Mosbey, asbestos is commonly found in siding, insulation and tape used on heating ducts.
Bobo said the group knew from the very beginning that the house, at 745 Yampa Ave., could have asbestos, particularly in the home's addition.
This is the first Habitat for Humanity project in Moffat County.
Habitat officials planned to remove and dispose of asbestos when they started planning the renovation.
"We figured it would be safer to assume yes (there was asbestos)," Bobo said.
Bobo hopes to know the results of the inspection in a few weeks and have crews back to work soon after.
If the inspection uncovers asbestos in the addition -- which Bobo thinks it will -- it won't take the project off schedule.
Bobo hopes crews can go to work in the main house while the addition is demolished.
If the inspection finds asbestos in the main house, crews will have to wait until the substance is removed.
Habitat plans to demolish the addition whether there is asbestos.
"We wanted to get rid of it anyway," Bobo said.
The addition is too big for a single family home, Bobo said.
City of Craig Building Inspector Dave Costa said asbestos inspection and rem-oval require a federal license, which the city doesn't have.
A private company will conduct the inspection for Habitat and dispose of any asbestos, which can't be put in the county landfill.
Costa said asbestos can be found in older homes throughout the region.
"It's all over town," Costa said. "It's all over the United States."