Former student faces charges in bomb threats

A 13-year-old former Craig student may face two felony charges and a misdemeanor charge for allegedly e-mailing bombs threats on two occasions to the administration at Craig Middle School.

Lt. John Forgay of the Craig Police Department said the FBI traced the threats to an Internet provider in Missouri, where the male juvenile lives. Forgay said the student had attended school in Craig at least a year ago, but the reasons for the threats were unclear.

The Police Department is forwarding to the 14th Judicial District Attorney's Office charges of a Class 6 felony of false reporting of explosives; a Class 5 felony of menacing; and a misdemeanor charge of harassment. Retribution costs also may be pending.

CMS principal Steve Wiersma received two e-mailed threats Nov. 18 and Dec. 15. The messages stated that the school would be blown up, Superintendent Pete Bergmann has said.

Forgay said the case marks the first time the Police Department has received reports of e-mailed bomb threats.

School officials now rarely shut down schools in response to a threat, Forgay said.

The recent case was forwarded to the Glenwood Springs office of the FBI after it had been determined that the messages originated out of state.

Forgay said the case was frustrating because people called to complain that police weren't investigating the case.

"We're not going to reveal to the public how we do the investigation," he said.

"In their minds we weren't doing anything, but we really are."

Commenting has been disabled for this item.