Gas stove malfunction blamed in house fire


Craig Fire/Rescue contained a fire to the kitchen of a Lincoln Street home Tuesday afternoon.

A malfunctioning gas stove appeared to have caused the fire, said Craig Fire/Rescue Chief Roy Mason.

No one was injured in the blaze. Mason said it appeared the oven burned through into an adjacent cupboard. The fire then spread to a wall and the ceiling, Mason said.

Justin Gevara, one of the home's occupants, said he was preheating the oven to cook a pizza for lunch. When the oven failed to light, Gevara said he checked the electrical breaker box and found one switch tripped. Gevara returned to the kitchen to find flames rising from behind the stove, he said. He called his father, Anthony Gevara, and then 911.

"It melted the stove and burned a cupboard and the wall behind it," Anthony Gevara said. Justin Gevara said he and his father recently moved into the home and that most of the appliances were new.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.