Building inspector to conduct health inspections


A decision by the Moffat County commissioners Monday will make it easier for restaurants to get licensed and inspected should they have problems.

The county commissioners voted to approve a memorandum of understanding with the Consumer Protection Division that will allow the county's building inspector to also act as the health inspector.

"This is a big step, it is real important that we have this position and now the funds for it," said Moffat County Commissioner Marianna Raftopoulos.

The contract signed with the state of Colorado to provide environmental inspecting services is valid from July 1 through December 31, 2008.

"Instead of licensing fees (for restaurants) going to the state, they pay us," said planning director Sue Graler. "We will get more money this way."

She explained that before Moffat County took these steps, they were paying the state for licensing services.

The way the system works now is that each restaurant license given by Moffat County raises $75, of which at least $20 is given back to the


"This way it has been rolled into building inspector's job, his salary went up a little. Now we are working within the same budget that we had but we don't pay the state," Graler said.

She said when restaurant owners sought assistance on health issues from the state, they were often disappointed. Now, someone local can handle the situation.

"We have already had people call about issues and we go check them, the state would never do that," Graler said.

The building inspector will combine his building inspections with his environmental health inspections, so that if he has to go to Dinosaur for building inspections he will also do any environmental health inspections that need to be done.

Right now, according to Graler, the job is a little busy because of an unusual amount of building inspections but it should quiet down and eventually there will be adequate time for both jobs.

Liz King is an intern with the Craig Daily Press. She can be reached at 824-7031 or

Commenting has been disabled for this item.