Fire chief offers tips in wake of house blaze

Advertisement

Craig Fire/Rescue Chief Roy Mason said Tuesday there are a variety of ways people can protect their homes from fire in light of the tragedy that occurred earlier this week.

Moffat County High School swim coach Ed Stehlin lost his E. Ninth Street home after a fire broke out early Sunday morning. The blaze gutted the house.

No one was in the house at

the time.

"We pinned it down that the fire came from the furnace room," Mason said. "It's uninhabitable, there is hole in the middle of the floor where the fire burned into the attic and burned out the attic tresses."

Fifteen firefighters responded to the call.

"I talked to Ed yesterday and he was up (at the house) going through stuff," Mason said.

Attempts to reach Stehlin Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Mason said precautions to take include:

  • For those burning trash, watch the fire and embers
  • Keep grass and weeds low especially around your house
  • Make sure your home is as fireproof as possible.
  • Furnaces and water heaters should be kept in good condition.

Liz King is an intern with the Craig Daily Press. She can be reached at 824-7031 or lking@craigdailypress.com

Commenting has been disabled for this item.