The Craig City Council will not only consider Tuesday night whether to renew a two-year-old ordinance that prohibits teens from using tobacco products in public but also how long that prohibition will remain in effect.
The original ordinance was enacted two years ago at the request of a citizen-led coalition but the ordinance was scheduled to sunset.
Not only have council members said they would vote to renew the ordinance but at least one has said he would push for it to be permanent.
"It has proved its benefit," Councilor Tom Gilchrist said. "We should keep it."
The Craig Police Department has issued 27 citations for underage use of tobacco in the last two years. Of those, 18 were sentenced to attend a one-hour tobacco education class. Some have been sentenced for re-offending but no one has been issued more than two citations.
With a first violation, the offender is fined up to $30 and must attend a one-hour class on the use and effects of tobacco. The fine increases to up to $50 for those who offend again.
Class time is bumped to three hours and the offender could be sentenced to complete up to 24 hours of community service.
"It seems to be going very well," City Attorney Sherman Romney said. "I see the benefit."
The council meeting begins at 7:30 p.m.
In other business, the council is scheduled to:
- Consider renewal a tavern liquor license for Mathers' Bar Inc. & The Cactus Grill.
- Consider renewal of a 3.2 percent beer retail liquor license for Loaf N' Jug.
- Consider renewal of a club liquor license for Craig Elks Club No. 1577.
- Set a public hearing for July 22 to zone the recently annexed Colorado Northwestern Community College-Craig property.
- Consider a request for a variance of a front-yard setback for a doublewide at 1652 Heather St. requested by Candi Kawcak.
- Consider a request to purchase a file server for Craig City Hall.
- Consider a request for approval of an off-street parking and landscape plan for a service dog training facility at 13th and Rose streets requested by Edward and Shannan Koucherik.
- Consider a request to overlay additional streets in the 2003 asphalt overlay project.
- Hear the first reading of an ordinance to modify the Craig Municipal Code to amend certain sections pertaining to limitations on firearms in the city of Craig pursuant to
Senate Bill 03-025.
- Hear the first reading of an ordinance readopting Chapter 9l.63 to the Craig Municipal Code that prohibits the use or possession of tobacco products at public places by persons under the age of 18.
- Hear the first reading of an ordinance for the regulation of traffic, amending the Craig Municipal Code that adopts by reference the 2003 edition of the Model Traffic Code.
- Discuss liquor licensing policies.
- Discuss a proposal to have the city participate in the financial analysis of Valley View Manor.
- Consider signing an agreement with the Colorado River Water Conservation District and the Department of Natural Resources considering the proposed enlargement of Elkhead Reservoir.
- Hear the May finance report.