A Thursday night fire that destroyed a structure near Maybell was the result of an apparent welding accident, the Moffat County Sheriff's Department said this morning.
The Maybell Fire Department and sheriff's deputies responded to the fire just after 7 p.m. at the Sevens Ranch west of Maybell on Moffat County Road 85.
K.C. Hume, chief investigator with the sheriff's department, said a man was working with a welding torch inside a cinder-block, tin-roofed structure just prior to the blaze.
Phillip George, ranch manager, briefly left the building to check on livestock before returning to
find the fire.
The fire has been ruled accidental, associated with the welding working that night, Hume said.
George was working on a portable sheep chute, he said.
Hume said no damage estimate was included in the department's investigation, which is closed.
Paul Shockley can be reached at 824-7031 or at firstname.lastname@example.org