Fuel line explodes;

Advertisement

A 1984 Ford Bronco burst into flames around 4:30 p.m. Monday in Craig. A Craig man was working on the vehicle near homes on north Ranney.

According to Craig Assistant Fire Chief Bill Johnston, the man was trying to flush the fuel system when the hot engine ignited fuel fumes and burned the vehicle.

The man was treated by emergency medical technicians (EMT) from The Memorial Hospital on scene for minor burns to his arm and leg. After the fire was contained, the man was told to return to The Memorial Hospital for further observation.

The Bronco ignited in a grass field. Fire totalled the vehicle, melting the wheels to ground on the driver's side, and burned vegetation up to 30 feet to the north and five feet to the south. With the extreme fire danger in Northwest Colorado, officials were quick to call in a brush-fire engine.

Fortunately, the fire did not spread any farther and the engine turned around.

Firefighter Shayne Sperry said the fire was fairly easy to contain.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.