Comments

Patrick Germond 9 months ago

I pay $200 a month or a little more. Doing the math, I can get free electricity for $53,000.

batman 9 months ago

I agree with the Mayor and am glad there are some folks in the county thinking outside the box. I have news for councilman Bird; there are eyesores everywhere in Craig, including the view one gets upon entering town from three out of four directions.

David Moore 9 months ago

The property off 1st street is ideal. 85% of people passing through Craig will never see it, truckers and locals will be the only ones who know it's there. And furthermore, please explain how glass panels neatly arranged is anymore of an eyesore than entering town from the east (a junkyard), and the north (the entire length of N. Yampa)? Any visitors entering from those two angles must be wondering where the heck they have ended up. Why worry about something almost all of the people passing through or visiting will never see? This would make a good use of a piece of land that has been for sale forever and IMO, an "eyesore" because it is not being used for anything productive, unless a few bales of hay are better than producing energy. Last time I looked, Craig is surrounded by hay, 20 less rolls of it will not create a crisis.

daily 9 months ago

Assuming this is an assumed federal grant then is the 800 dollar investment subject to recapture by the state or federal court systems? Who is responsible for the upkeep. (Plowing roads in the winter, wiping the snow off the collectors, repairing part failures.)

davidbowieonwheels 9 months ago

Will the electricity generated by the solar panels only be available to county employees? I'm in so long as there is still room for the 10,000 seat amphitheater. =P

leroymcgee 9 months ago

Typical Moffat County "doublespeak" from Joe Bird. The same people who complain about "regulation" and pretend to be advocates for the free market are the same guys who try to keep competition out of the market to protect their favorite industries.

Good for YVEA for looking into this opportunity to diversify our energy portfolio, however small, and begin to prepare us for the future.

Patrick Germond 9 months ago

Oh this is rich. To funny. If I read that right. The field will be built here, but the owners and users will be people from Steamboat? And........ For $800 you save $45.... Per.....year. That means my $200+ power bill would cost me $53,300 to off set and be totally solar powered. The people advocating this have issues. The first of which is critical thinking. But I'm not going to pick on them. I'll just leave them with the southern phrase, "Bless Your Hearts".

daily 9 months ago

leroymcgee this project is financed by a 1603 Treasury Grant which is part of a government regulation and ultimately comes from your wallet.

leroymcgee 9 months ago

Daily - the same wallet that helps fund the subsidies that go to propping up the coal, oil, and gas industries and the same wallet that funds the massive health care and environmental costs that are externalities of these industries. I like the quote from Ms. Nelson above, why not give consumers choices and let them decide?

citizensforgrowth 9 months ago

Well Joe Bird, the YVEA is mandated by state law to have a percentage of their power from renewable energy by 2020. They are just doing what they have to to comply with the law. You don't have to love it,you don't have to like it, heck you can down right hate it but as an adult and as a member of our local government I would hope you put on your big boy pants and step up to the plate and assist one of our own in dealing with a problem they are facing. Do you throw a fit at work and get your way all the time? Yep, me neither so lets come together and face this because its not going away. Have to agree with other posters. Eyesore argument is weak,three out of four ways into town are not easy on the eyes and we almost screwed up the fourth by building a fire training tower over it.

daily 9 months ago

And just how does the federal government prop up the coal oil and gas industries.? Any specifics?

leroymcgee 9 months ago

well, start with the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and go from there. Add to that billions in tax breaks, direct subsidies, public land giveaways, federally built and maintained roads and railroads, massive federal health care costs, and the costs associated with adapting to and/or rebuilding after weather events exacerbated by a warming climate. Oh, and the minor hundreds of millions that the federal government invested in developing fracking technology. But other than those minor things, you're right, fossil fuels thrive in an entirely free market unprotected and unsupported by federal policies or subsidies.

Colette Erickson 9 months ago

Keep up the good work, leroymcgee. People need to know the facts which you are supplying.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.