Comments

pkrangely 1 year, 5 months ago

Well that ends the age old debate of what is a life worth, $25,000. After all the numbers I have heard thrown around in the last four months, that is pretty minimal. Or is it that living in Dinosaur is punishable by death? Get a grip folks and get to the table and work this out.

David Moore 1 year, 5 months ago

Well now......looks like we have a better use of money burning a hole in the pocket of the commissioners, like the ridiculous notion of building a 10,000 seat amphitheater, or building a clinic for their own employees. How about seeing if any folks out there are interested in becoming EMT's and then provide them with free training at the community college as an incentive, you do not need nurses (as the article implies) to run an ambulance, you do need a willing medical director however and hopefully one of the good doctors of our community would step up and take the reigns. If they have an ambulance, and it runs and can be stocked, all it would take is 8-10 people interested. They in turn would be able to take patients to the Rangely hospital, which I am sure Rangely would be just fine with since they are now making money, after all, money is what it is all about, forget life and limb. Running a crew from Craig is not going to work, especially in a trauma situation, the "golden hour" is up halfway to the scene, then you have to get back to the hospital, a 4 hour trip minimum. This has been a proven theory for years now and unfortunately, even with transfers from crew to crew, people still have not made it simply because of the sheer miles of "outback" in our county. How about Ashley Valley Medical Center in Vernal? If they would come on board all their crews would have to do is become certified in Colorado, not much really. Just a thought, and only 20 miles away. That may be a longshot but worth looking into Whatever the solution, it must be dealt with quickly, fate is an unknown and all it will take is one death and there will be a lawsuit against the county for not providing proper medical attention. Is that something this county really wants to deal with? I would hope not. Do something actually worthwhile to your people instead of throwing money away on things not really needed. That is something that if I were a commissioner I would want to be remembered for, not some unneeded amphitheater or clinic.

hixinstix 1 year, 5 months ago

Vernal crews don't have to be Colorado certified if they are already NREMT's. Problem with using Utah hospitals for ambulance is insurance/Medicare etc reimbursements. Time for our illustrious commissioners to step forward and make this right. The citizens and visitors of western Moffat County deserve a resolution. I agree with David Moore.....this situation provides a much better use of county funds than an amphitheater.

firstofthefallen 1 year, 5 months ago

The people of Dinosaur should at least be able to use the Tom Mathers Amphitheater as a place to hold memorials for their lost loved ones at a reduced fee. That's a way to give back to the community.

hello81625 1 year, 5 months ago

This is not a new conversation or problem. Rangley has been hinting to the county for two years now that this was coming - why haven't the commissioners been working on a plan already- Oh I know because they NEVER attend the county EMS council meetings so that they have a clue as to what is going on. Where is our County Emergency Manager in all of this? Yes - Dinosaur can operate its own ambulance, as they have in the past - but they will need assistance from the Hospital and County to do so and it will take financial backing as well. A BLS service would be adequate and only requires EMTs that can be certified in 6-9 months (less if the county is willing to pay for an excellerated program). I hope this conversation stays out in the open and does not return to closed doors. There are MANY qualified and talented people in the area of EMS who have been shut out of EMS in the County by TMH - these people I am sure have many creative and viable solutions to offer.
The county contracts with a County wide Medical director so that base is already covered and TMH has at least one ambulance sitting collecting dust. Seems to me this should not be that difficult to fix - however, I am sure it will be.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.