Comments

Patrick Germond 1 year, 4 months ago

I brought up that our schools can be broken into with a rock by braking the widow out of one of the doors and reaching in and opening it up. The school district leaders agreed this was the case. I informed them that was how the Sandy Hook shooter gained entry, he shot out the window. I asked for more officers to patrol the schools too. We have two, but we have eight schools all together, counting the preschool and the alternative school. Neither of my concernes were met with any kind of comments or attitudes that would lead me to believe they will be improved upon or acted on. They brushed them aside really. I think as parents we are going to have to get involved if we want security improved. Now I'm not saying our leaders are bad people, they just don't see the problem we are facing in our future. We have mentally ill people in our community and we have a lot of guns in our community. And as I pointed out gun control will not help this problem. An AR15 with an average site on it is $1600. A Taurus .357 magnum that holds eight rounds cost about $450. The fire power under any current gun ban will not go down. A person can buy four of those revolvers and carry speed loaders and quite possibly do more damage than at Sandy Hook. I really want to see the front door at least hardened to the point that a person with a rock and a knife can be kept out. At least. P.S. Please, I don't want a gun control debate. I just want the school made safer.

reasonableexpectations 1 year, 4 months ago

It doesn't matter what safeguards are put in place. Unless we lock down our schools like prisons and prevent access to classrooms by anyone who is not an employee or student, someone who wants to get in will find a way to get in. We need to deal with the problem, not the symptoms. Bulletproof glass in all the classrooms? A lot of money for a false sense of security.

Some simple chain link gaurds on the front door widows is what I'm asking for. Not bullet proof widows all around. You made a comment about prisons. We are trying to keep criminals out so yea, some of that is going to have to happen. Think of it as a reverse prison.

mocoobserve 1 year, 4 months ago

As a Parent I see both sides. I do not want my kids to be in a "prison", or feel like they are, but I do not want some creep gaining access to their school. How do you protect against a student intent on causing harm though, they are already inside? I watched the segment on the TX school that allows faculty to carry a concealed weapon if they are permitted and educated in safety. Security officers or armed faculty are going to be the only things to deter a creep from going to a school where currently they know there is nothing to stand in their way.

Yup, it's part of the new world we live in. We have to secure the schools. The bad guys may find a way to do what they want, but we need to at least try and stop it. A least with the simplest of measures.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.