Reader comments

On Al Cashion: Be who you iz

Comments

someguy 1 year, 10 months ago

Came here for the interesting title: 'Be who you iz' (well done by the way)

Had to comment due to: "You are part of the Designer’s ongoing “Original Works of Art” show." Ongoing original works, does that include evolution?

"You have a Certificate of Authenticity and are in the Official Registry." Is this the list the St. Peter maintains?

" You know you are an authentic production of the the Intelligent One when something inside of you screams ..."

I do not agree with your religious perspective, although I absolutely respect your right to believe what you wish.

Samuel Clemens ("Mark Twain") has an interesting take on this idea: "Man is a marvelous curiosity . . . he thinks he is the Creator's pet . . . he even believes the Creator loves him; has a passion for him; sits up nights to admire him; yes and watch over him and keep him out of trouble. He prays to him and thinks He listens. Isn't it a quaint idea."

Thomas Edison also tackles the question w/ this response: "I cannot believe in the immortality of the soul.... No, all this talk of an existence for us, as individuals, beyond the grave is wrong. It is born of our tenacity of life – our desire to go on living … our dread of coming to an end."

What if I don't believe that everything in this world created by a god waving his fingers around? What if I refuse to believe that that which motivates me: my desire to be good, to do good, and to be better tomorrow than I am today doesn't come from a god, but rather love of people, community, and country?

someguy 1 year, 10 months ago

Seem to have lost some of my original post.

I like your message, I believe it to be a good one. I take issue only with your accreditation of the human spirit to a god rather than the human whom controls it.

acc007 1 year, 10 months ago

Howdy Mr. Someguy! or .. if your tricky.. Howdy Ms. Someguy!

I'm what some call an "Old Earther" theologically. This is not to be confused with being an "Old Birther". Yes, I am old and yes I ..... never mind. Geology seals the deal for me that the scholars that saw both sides of the year of our Lord 1900 (had to throw that in just for giggles) were frequently of the belief that the original Hebrew text says. ... and the earth BECAME without form and void.... Genesis 1:2. I believe the earth existed for a whole gob of time. So you think I'm probably half way to good sense. So do the Young Earthers. Ha!
Can't go with you on the evolution thing though. The scientific evidence against it is overwhelming. Politically incorrect though. I'd be pleased to go into detail with you on that if you'd like. You know my name. Call me. Don't try and hang theology on the goofy stuff I write. St. Peter know's it's inacurate anyway and he doesn't hang out at the gate so much. Sammy and Tommy were pretty sharp folks. I've never read where they claimed to step around the corner for a glimpse at eternity though. "What if I...?" "What if I?" Well... I'm happy for you. But I'm sad too. I'm familiar with the Human Spirit. Familiar enough to know we are L-O-O-O-S-E-R-S. Given a perfect world, perfect environment, perfect social systems, perfect .... whatever, .. it would not be long at all before we would be inventing the words, "rape, kill, molest, castigate, seperate, .........." We are just broken people and I'm glad there is a Fixer Upper. Have a good day! Al Cashion

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.