Comments

Jason Phillips 1 year, 10 months ago

I mostly side with Arnett on this one.

I don't think anyone is advocating doing away with standardized testing all together - but I think most would agree there is too large of an emphasis placed on the testing nowadays. And our public education system is in need of reform.

Meagan - I too am an MCHS graduate, and I also possess the necessary critical thinking skills to reject a ridiculous statement like, "we have stopped teaching facts and the necessary basics in order to help children feel 'warm and fuzzy' and to propel a liberal agenda." I think you detract from an otherwise decent argument with a non-specific partisan talking point like that.

However, the one part of Ms. Harding's letter that I do agree with is that many times the teachers unions are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

jammer 1 year, 10 months ago

Our schools are broken.Standardized testing is crippling our educational system.

jammer 1 year, 10 months ago

It matter not where or when the Mayflower landed. The schools history of it was not truthful at all.

Did you learn in school that a few years before the Mayflower a British expedition had landed there,took Indians as slaves and left smallpox behind killing over 90 percent of the locals before the Mayflower landed?

When the Mayflower arrived it made camp on a deserted ruins of the Indian village wiped out by smallpox. The Puritans believed it was God that killed off the locals with smallpox's.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.