Comments

Sage_Sam 1 year, 10 months ago

Wow. I think you said it all, and said it well.

ronswanson 1 year, 10 months ago

What a great change from the usual predictable drivel spewed here.

Colette Erickson 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks for sharing. What a great insight. Also, what a sad insight.

lonelyone 1 year, 10 months ago

Very nice letter Mrs. Arnett. I know several teachers and they talk often of the frustration of government involvement in the education system. I think most of them feel this no child left behind has caused a lot of problems for everyone, students and teachers alike.

teachmusicscrap 1 year, 10 months ago

Excellent way to give the truth to the media in regards to the everyday lives of teachers.

bunkhousebarbie 1 year, 10 months ago

Excellent article and excellent points. Unfortunately, too much government is the problem in so many areas of our lives these days, and I suspect that this would be the complaint of everyone who was in on that discussion. I believe those in the federal government (our legislators and particularly our current President) are perpetuating this problem of more government, and I would like to think that we can do something by working from the bottom (small government) up and by electing people who will buck the system. Back to the article, I think the title is misleading because implies that either the kids or coal win while I believe both can.

Jon Pfeifer 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree that No Child Left Behind is a disaster. However, before it was implemented, education in the United States was still well behind most other developed nations, despite our spending more per pupil than most countries. I don't think the solution is to simply "deregulate" education. Education, unlike private industry, is largely a government enterprise. The idea of getting the government out of education is like saying we should get the water out of ice. Schools need to be accountable for what they do. I just think that No Child Left Behind is a failure in trying to do that. Ms. Arnett is a very respected teacher and I have no doubt that she is very dedicated to what she does. However, not all teachers are as competent or dedicated. There is a problem when unions protect poor teachers because the education of their students suffer. We are also seeing tremendous growth in the costs of benefits that teachers receive. This is less money available to hire more teachers and spend on other things. I'm not sure what the solutions are. What I do know about Mitt Romney, though, is that he is generally persuaded by statistics and data. Hopefully he can get a better policy together than his predecessors.

jammer 1 year, 10 months ago

What did the town spend to make this happen? I heard it was like $25,000. What a waste.

The people of this town most always vote a straight republican ticket all but one year where we supported Ross Perot to help Bill Clinton win.

WOW, Mitt Romney, the man to take out Obama. Why? Did not every new republican presidential candidate jump ahead of Mitt Romney?

Denise Bagley 1 year, 10 months ago

I totally agree with Ms. Arnett that there needs to be an overhaul of the testing system, however her statement about which candidate for she will vote makes no sense. Obama has been in office for almost four years; why not be upset with him? He had every opportunity to make changes, especially in the first two years, when the Democrats controlled both houses of Congress. I am aware that Colorado is one of ten states to receive waivers for No Child Left Behind, to make reforms at the state level, but her statement that she plans to cast her vote for anyone but Romney means she will vote for Obama. It doesn't matter to me for whom she votes, but neither candidate has an acceptable solution at this point, so why fault one over the over, when the other has had the power to make drastic changes and did not.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.