Reader comments

On Letter: Circus cruelty

Comments

janiem 2 years, 7 months ago

Carson & Barnes claim that the Endangered Ark Foundation operates one of the most successful breeding programs for the Asian elephant is a illusion. The facts are that they have had only 1 live birth and 3 deaths. All this information is documented at the Elephant Data Base. http://www.elephant.se/location2.php?location_id=289&show=6 This exotic circus animal abuse is so egregious and scientifically documented that Rep. Jared Polis of CO is one of 20 House of Representative that are co-sponsors of H.R. Bill 3359 the Traveling Exotic Animal Protection Act. Based upon the publicly available research and video and photographic evidence, it is clear that traveling circuses cannot provide the proper living conditions for these exotic animals. http://federalcircusbill.org/index.php

Rebelgirl 2 years, 7 months ago

Thank you both for speaking out against the cruelty that this community supported. It is great that people are starting to wake up and realize that this is happening and that they arent afraid to speak out. To support the animals instead of being ignorant to the facts. All the ark foundation is doing is ensuring the survival of animals for future cruel acts against these amazing creatures. Thats it nothing more. Once again I thank you for speaking out.

Michelle Hale 2 years, 7 months ago

I have not of have a supported the circus in many many years. Why? Because of treatment of animals. They shouldn't be breading them ether, because these animals are NOT treated well. Its just a matter of doing your own homework. There is tons of information out there, tape, and legal documents filed against them. NO ONE should support this. In my eyes it's no different than supporting Bull Fighting. Its wrong.

cory5611 2 years, 7 months ago

if you dont like it dont go and you can not belive every thing you read or watch on T.V or loook up on the computer it is really easy to put fake crap on the internet and The news staions do not help with half of there smutt before they really look into it same goes with the newspapers

David Moore 2 years, 7 months ago

So cory5611, you are saying the videos I watched were faked somehow? It was sickeningly plain to me...the trainer whacks the crap out of the animal, the animal recoils and bellows, and somehow this is doctored up? Piles of documents in governmental offices regarding the cruelty? Dead animals from neglect, beatings and confinement? Sorry, I cannot believe that any of this is somehow fake or phony, I feel it is all true, but being covered up for the monetary benefit of a few. I don't like it, and, I did not go nor did my child want to after seeing the atrocities. However I can voice my opinion on how I feel about it if I like, just like if you don't like this thread, don't participate. Makes about the same sense.

Its ok let corey live in their bubble of ignorance, lies and dissapointment. They probably think everyone is out to get them. That everyone lies and there is no such thing as truth. Your right I dont believe everything I read such as the smutt you just regurgitated here. You are however correct about newspaper they didnt report one ounce of truth here about the circus. So go back to your conspiracy theory sites on the internet, or t.v. or other crap you believe in and leave the real world problems to those of us that are informed with the truth, and that actualy want to make a change.

Ned2392 2 years, 7 months ago

Thank you to the four of you for such great comments. I agree with Dave, Corey. There is plenty of government documentation and if you took a few minutes to research yourself you'd know what's real and what's fake. And if you don't like my article, don't read it. I'm trying to educate others and make a difference, which is a lot more than I can say for some people of the world. Thanks to the rest of you again for your positive comments.

jamieb5691 2 years, 7 months ago

I watched the circus, was very disappointed!! What a waste of money. The elephants were sedated to the point they looked drunk. Eyes barely open. They told us repeatedly not to feed them peanuts, isn't that what their for? The acrobats did nothing that the local kids couldn't perform. Disgusted by the whole thing!!!

needstoknow 2 years, 7 months ago

I myself will not pay to go watch this particular circus in Craig again!! As for others yes I might give them a try!! To all of you that think all these animals are abused, WHY if they were abused are they even allowing circus's to HAPPEN??? So an I'm sure you all attended circus's when you was kids!! So I suppose Rodeo's are animal cruelty also huh??? WRONG Again.. If you don't like it then don't go it's that simple OH an keep your input to yourself not all want to hear about your animal activist CRAP!!! Thanx

Ned2392 2 years, 7 months ago

@ needstoknow: I didn't go an have never been to a circus in my life. You don't need to be an Activist to care about the way animals are treated. It can take years for someone to get enough money and resources and documentation to try and get a circus shut down. Excuse me for standing up fr something i believe in. If you don't like what I have to say, DONT read it. Simple as that. Thanks.

jaxx 2 years, 7 months ago

Wow, circus drama is rampant in Craig, Colorado. Each person is entitled to their own opinion on this subject. Im thinking we might be a bit hard on those that share a different opinion. If you don't like circuses, don't spend your hard earned money on circuses and theres a good chance circuses won't come back to Craig. I happen to feel similarily about the carnival but it hasn't got me very far. Don't hate our community for bringing in an attraction that Im sure has some kind of certification and inspection from the goverment. I know that this little circus is appearing often in towns across the nation..... doesn't seem like the goverment is doing much to shut them down. Shopping local is what supports our community.... I don't quit shopping local because the carnival is allowed to come back every year. Craig isn't a hotbed of animal cruelty because the circus comes to town. Give everyones opinion a fair shake, support our community and contact your representives if you want to see something change. Wow, guess I should have went to the circus. Just sayin........

The governent doesnt do squat to change it. As for our reps thats a lost cause as well, sorry but unless you have money, a big name or are tied into a big corp you are nothing. And as for you needstoknow if you dont like our crap dont read the posts so we dont have to read your crap. Apparently you dont care about anything but yourself. Go back to your bubble and leave those of us who actually care about things alone. And yes rodeos are cruel.

Wow rebelgirl, you have some serious anger issues. You can't tell me that if you really want to change things and make a difference that it is impossible. Isn't that what the US is all about? Maybe the first step is you trying to make a difference? I know our country sure is better than any of the alternatives. No one "lives in a bubble" just because they don't share your opinion. Your "crap" isn't any more important than needstoknows "crap"........ actually all your crap is really amusing. I'm glad we have you to "actually care about things" but I think I can make my own decision about whats right or wrong. Gotta love your passion but keep an open mind if you want others to give your opinions the same respect. Circuses, rodeos and everything else are what we as the consumer allow them to be.

Thanks for your honesty Jaxx. I do make changes, I have changed how I live and my out look on life and how all things should be treated. I educate people that I know on the cruelty and I have changed some of their prior misconceptions. I am very passionate about things, and I want to change them. But I am sorry the government is corrupt at certain levels and unless people stand up as a whole things don't change. I am one of a few in this community, it is hard when we live in a hunting, farming community. I have nothing against local farmers. Its big corps including factory farming, circuses, etc that my issues exsist. I would have the same respect for others as long as they dont see themselves as superior to all other living things including fellow humans. It is not right that humans value their life above all else. If it werent for the other living things where would we be? If circuses would not treat the animals as objects to be broken into what they wanted them to be it would be a different subject. But to beat, chain, and abuse animals for our entertainment should not be acceptable. It took the government three years to act on the abuse elephants suffered at the hands of trainers by Ringling Bros and that was only after groups such as PETA and the Humane Society hounded them. Its three years to long. The Dept of Ag knows what is going on, but they do nothing about it. Then again how can I truely blame them as a whole when most of the field workers get no support from change from the upper levels? You can only talk into a deaf ear, show proof to blind for so long.

Much better blog, rebelgirl, I thought there was some intelligence behind the ranting. For the record, I come from along line of Colorado ranchers, hunters, coal miners and rodeo enthusiaists. I raise cattle, train horses and yes,I have rode broncs in rodeos. I hunt animals, fish as often as I can, and I believe I respect and treasure animals as much or more than any animal rights activist. Most people with a similar background have the same respect and love of animals. My people are gun toting, meat eating, hard working Americans. That said I think your passion is great and wish you luck in educating others about your passion. Keep it nice.

Colette Erickson 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, Jaxx, and now folks are getting educated about the mistreatment of animals in circuses and trying to not allow them to be miserable hell-holes for the animals condemned to participate. This blog is part of the education process. Hopefully, rodeo will be next.

jasper123 2 years, 7 months ago

I watch the training video it's not that bad when you train animals they have to know who is the boss I'm sure they tried to whisper in there ear first and got no results I think it's worth it for my entertainment I've always enjoyed the circus and the rodeo and even a bull fight in Mexico once that was exciting all the bleeding heart bs is crap we are humans they are animals it's just the way it is stop feeling guilty about It go have a steak go to the rodeo and if you hit a little bunny on the way home don't cry your eyes out

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.