Comments

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with the Archuleta's 100%, that chunk of rock is what defines this town and has become a welcome sight when returning from places afar, I always know I am home when I lay eyes upon it. It is one heck of a trail to ride and hike and I have been climbing them since a young child, I now take my own young child up there to enjoy them as I did at her age. I believe the only thing you can do is educate, sign it up and if you need to fence something off, fence it off to motorized vehicles, all they do is tear it up anyway....and this is coming from someone who likes to drive the two tracks themselves. Please, City Council, do not bar the public from this natural landscape that is truly an icon of Craig, it is a great place to go and get a lay of the land, watch fireworks and hear them thunder down the valley and just pass an afternoon in somewhat of a solitude type place, away and above the hustle and bustle. As tragic as it is that some have died falling off the edge, it would be just as tragic closing it up ,too many people love being there...besides, human nature won't allow that to happen.

Tammy Showalter 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with David...what has happened is tragic...but then again so are car accidents...do we ban driving? It is time for common sense to prevail.

WrestlinRockies 1 year, 11 months ago

Fence it...Bolt Routes on the face and turn it into a rock climbing park.

It would be regulated. You could charge fees (I would pay every day and know many more who would and many others who would travel here to do so). It would be a huge attraction to the area.

I will even volunteer to do most all the work for free! it would be a great idea.

hwwellmandvm 1 year, 11 months ago

"The Sandrocks" are part of Craig's identity. Nearly every child who grows up in Craig will have some fond memory at/on/near this landmark. Restricting use or condemning the use of this landmark would be a shame....building walkways, view points with benches, and providing a rock climbing area would be a better alternative (much like the Cathy Ceasar sled hill) in my opinion. I believe David would also support this, and it would be a nice tribute to someone who loved Craig like David did.

native_craig_guy 1 year, 11 months ago

Fact of the matter is that even a dim witted attorney could bring a successful lawsuit against The City of Craig for negligence in controlling a dangerous "attractive nuisance". Simply bolting up climbing lines is not going to reduce their liability everytime someone wants to commit suicide or climb foolishly on the rocks. They need to take steps to ensure the safety of those who are on the Sandrocks, legally or not.

I am truly sorry that some have met their demise by falling from the rocks, however closing it down completely is not the solution. I find it odd that we as 12 year olds back in the 70's knew of the danger playing and climbing on them, why is it such an issue now? Closing it off to vehicles and their destructive and dangerous nature is a start to the solution. Of the 5 deaths in the following years, 3 of them were in a vehicle....perhaps had it been closed to vehicular traffic then, there would only be 2 deaths. If that were the case, we would not be here debating the fate of an iconic landmark of our community or the unfortunate deaths of a few who momentarily lost their focus. Put up a fence, it will be torn down....put up a sign, and bullet holes will be shot through it, it's the nature of those who live here and it would be a waste of money all the way around. Again, common sense says STAY AWAY FROM THE EDGE, its a long way down and you are unlikely to walk away from a fall. Not that hard to understand.

Rebelgirl 1 year, 11 months ago

The truth of the matter is times are different now than they were 30 or 40 years ago. Yes accidents happen. The population also wasn't as big in the past as it is now. With increased population brings increased suicides, and accidents. Like many others have stated you will not stop someone from taking their own life nor will you stop them from doing risky things such as climbing the face of the rocks. How is this different than people floating the river, it can be just as dangerous as much of these people are also drinking as they float. We are lucky enough not to have more accidents in the river. People will do what they want when they want reguardless of what you put in front of them. Build the fence they will scale it or tear it down with the intent of hurting them self or just because they can due to no respect for boundries. Signs will do little to nothing other than offer a place to display graffiti. How can the city be accoutable? Do people sue the Federal Government when their loved one takes their life by jumping off a cliff? Its no ones responsiblity to ensure the safety of every single citizen, it can not be done. Common sense is a fleeting thing and you can only hold someones hand or treat them like kids for so long. Accidents happen, and people take their own life. Honor those who have lost their life(s) and use this as a time to reteach the importance of what life you have.

Well, while I agree with a lot of what rebelgirl says, I am not going to express any sympathy for those who lack the simple notion of common sense. Those rocks have been there for a millennium and nothing as far as using them has changed...nothing. The danger is the same now as it was when I was 9 climbing the "witches crack" to the top. Anyone remember the big "72" painted on the tallest part? I do and I remember the day after it was painted. Imagine for one second the risk involved in getting that up there, and no one died doing it from what I recall. I ride that rim trail at speeds most would never fathom, I take the risk, and I accept it, but my common sense tells me every inch I cover that all can go awry any second, and I can easily plunge to my demise. The risk is part of being up there, part of enjoying the beauty and part of many of our lives. We need to stop being such nanny's, making all the bad boogeymen go away, and just live life...accept the risk of breathing air and do what is right. People have drown in the river, is it closed to the public.....no. People have died in aircraft crashes, are the airports closed to their use.....no. These deaths are a tragic consequence of a momentary, or substance related, lapse in judgement, a loss of focus and in the instance of the three gentlemen who drove over the edge, a loss of bearing and placement upon this earth. I will NEVER support shutting it down and this will be one meeting, if it ever comes about, that I will attend to voice my opposition.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.