Comments

craignative 1 year, 11 months ago

I think Craig would be making a huge mistake by letting this guy obtain a liquor license. If he's given the apporval for a liquor license and he's lied about run ins with the law in the past, how can law enforcement know when this guy is telling the truth if they conduct a bar check or investigate something criminal stemming from the bar? It makes no sense to give this guy a liquor license. If he can't be truthful the first time around, that should say something about his character and how he may run his business.

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

Agreed. Besides, this is all we DON'T need, yet another liquor establishment in Craig. Remember that thing a couple weeks ago, about us being close to the most unhealthy county, this is one reason why we are. By my count that would make 6 liquor stores, 8 establishments(K&G, Wal-Mart etc) that sell beer besides the restaurants in town, and at least 5 to 6 bars. Enough already. Just say no. Where do I sign?

SayWhat 1 year, 11 months ago

How can you blatantly lie about something in an application, and then have the ability to turn around and instantly reapply? That sounds like garbage to me. He made the choice to LIE on his application, and he should be punished for doing so by not allowing him to open his business. If you did the same thing on an application to become a gaming or gambling employee, and were caught lying, not only would you get denied, but they would more than likely file fraud charges against you. Enough with the booze, deny him, and suggest he turn it into a childrens play area. Because really, that's what Craig NEEDS. More stuff for the kids, and a hell of a lot less liquor.

craigresident1987 1 year, 11 months ago

Why would this night club be passed anyway? I personally feel this would increase the drug dealing in the town and would only increase the crime rate. Seeing that this guy has provided false information on his application twice should raise red flags. If he is providing false info on a paper he could easily turn around and provide alcohol to minors by lying saying EVERY person was carded before purchasing the alcohol. This night club needs to be denied with no chance to be opened in the future. Where is the petition I will be more than willing to sign it. Sure wish I could attend the meeting.

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

And besides, the post office is right next door, does the government have anything to say about a bar being open in the same building? One can only imagine the possible damage and drunken vagrants hanging out in the always open P.O. box portion. I imagine we would lose the priveledge of checking our mail at any hour once this starts up. Anyone know where you can go sign this alleged petition? And ranger, I did as you suggested and emailed the mayor directly.

resident81625 1 year, 11 months ago

I signed the petition from the owners at the Elk Run Inn.

cory5611 1 year, 11 months ago

What about the School Sunset is to close to this place and thats what we need is a bunch of drunks around the school and we will see if the City of Craig really cares if they pass it. There the ones that told him to reapply after he lied so this should tell us what they thank about the saftey of the kids and people in this area i hope we can get this stop before someone gets hurt or worse. Cory Overton

I don't believe the city has much of a choice not to let this guy reapply. However, they, the City Council, does have the right to listen and take past accounts into their decision. I hope they make the right decision and deny this guy the license. The location of this place is not suited for a night club of this type. Not only that, the credibility of this guy is zero for lying.

Jason Phillips 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with the posters who say he ought to be denied on grounds of lying on his application.

I disagree with the posters who want to deny this establishment because it doesn't fit with their idea of what the community ought to look like.

Hopefully this guy learned an important lesson about integrity. They ought to make him wait a year before reapplying. But Craig isn't in a position to be turning down any new business tax revenue.

kp81625 1 year, 11 months ago

Buff_bronc_fan, so you are saying that because we need the revenue, then we should allow him to go ahead and continue with his application?

I have to highly disagree with that theory. He lied on his application and I wish they could file fraud charges against him for it. I would also like to see his application denied outright. Craig has enough liquor establishments available and we do not need another one in town. Especially one so close to a school zone. I will be stopping by on my way home to sign the petition against this and also contacting whomever I need to contact so that they have yet another voice against this.

How cavalier of this applicant to just shrug his shoulders when he was caught lying the last time, turn around and refile with the corrected information. That tells me that he is not of good enough character to run a responsible establishment to begin with.

Why wait a year and then the guy can re-apply? That makes no sense. So in a years time he miraculously will have had a change of heart and won't lie. He had his chance the first time. Once you loose credibility it takes a lot to gain it back! Actions speaks louder than words!!

The idea to make him wait a year is sort of an arbitrary time frame, I will give you that. I am in agreement that there ought to be some sort of repercussion of lying on the application - he shouldn't be allowed to simply turn around and resubmit it.

But I also don't feel like it's such an egregious violation that he should be banned from ever applying for a liquor license. So it seems like some sort of waiting period is in order. I just threw out one year as a suggestion.

I guess my main point here is that he is not a convicted sex offender, or a felon, nor is he applying for a job as a teacher or a public servant... So the standard for obtaining a liquor license should be lower than in other walks of life where background checks are necessary.

There ought to be some negative impact of him lying on the application, but I don't think it should preclude him all together.

As for the opinion that "Craig has enough liquor establishments," I don't think we ought to be pushing our own morality on other business owners. I think they deserve the same opportunities as any other liquor establishment, until they prove themselves unfit. (I acknowledge that lying on an application does not do much to generate good will with the community.)

Becky Plummer 1 year, 11 months ago

I guess if THAT liquor establishment is to close to the school then the liquor store that is closer to it than the nightclub will have to be closed down? Just askin!!

ranger520 - does that apply until the end of time? Because he failed to disclose a couple of misdemeanors he should never be considered for a liquor license?

I'm not even sure I agree with background checking people to obtain a liquor license. As someone else stated, all licenses are subject to revocation if they are misused, so his background is almost a moot point.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.