Comments

David Moore 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh my, this is so complicated isn't it? How about this: -City of Craig maintains the park, builds bathrooms and leaves the wood carvings where they are. -VFW gains the name "Veterans memorial park", with signage, and shuts up and moves on. As always, as a military child, I totally respect the sacrifices our veterans have made, but, I cannot and do not support their ideals regarding the disposition of OUR park. You win, they win, we win, it works out for all of us. I will and would support my taxpayer money going toward maintenance of the park, building of restrooms and whatever was needed to maintain the park. Anything less will not get my respect or support.

jamieb5691 1 year, 11 months ago

Why doesn't the city offer them what its worth? They offer $25,000, come on a lot in shadow mountain its worth more than that. Guess what city counsel if these Veterans Would not have fought for our freedom you wouldn't even have the right to argue in the first place! Let alone trying to rip them off. I have been in the construction business for over 15 years and you want $70,000 for a bathroom, are they gold toilets? Ooh that's right it takes 10 city workers to do the job of two men. 2 working and 8 leaning on shovels just like we see all over town. Eminent domain ? Grow up! You don't get what you want, so you threaten? Half you city workers make double of what you should or should I say what your worth. Maybe the people of Craig should eminent domain the city hall, replace all you with people who actually work for their money then use that money to pay the lease for the park. If the city owned it and the veterans wanted to lease it you could Bet your ass it would be worth $200,000 then. Pay them what its worth!!!!!

There's been no bathroom for how many years now? Walk, simple as that. After all according to the Denver post Moffat county hit number one in the state for obesity. Waste of $70,000. First of all shadow mountain is a trailer park and lots are small so what I was saying was one lot price of $25,000 is worth approximately how many acres at the city park? Land is land and you can't buy that type of land anywhere in Moffat county for $25,000. Let alone downtown or commercial property. Those veterans gave us the right for utilities so for saying the city gave them utilities is completely out of context. As if those veterans have never done anything for this community for free? Think again!!! Any one of those veterans would help you personally if you ever needed it, would your fellow city workers do that for you? I think not no let me rephrase that I know not!

In reality, there are no bathrooms at the park. If you are talking about the ones at the pool, they are locked 9 times out of 10, I know because when taking my daughter to the park to play and she needed a bathroom, they were not available. Good thing she has control. A set of bathrooms that are available all the time would be something positive, IF you can keep the dang kids from destroying them. We all know what the sacrifices that our vets have made for our freedom so continuing on with that fact is no longer a point of contention here. They are however not entitled to anything free and are not entitled to demand such a high price for property that was always supposed to be for the community, not for their personal financial gains. It's just too darned simple, City does what they have done for years, Vets get the thing named after them with free signs and that's it, done deal sign the papers. In reality the City is putting out way more in maintenance than it is really worth. If the city put $25,000 worth of maintenance (hypothetical of course, I don't know what the real figure is) into the park each year since 1947, that would be $1,625,000 of taxpayer money spent already. Which means this community has already paid for it. I don't agree with eminent domain either, but for the good of the community and to preserve a precious place for all ages, I would support the city using it in this case. What I would rather see is the VFW cease in being greedy and resign the original lease and for the city to be generous and give them back their free trash, water and sewer. It's a win-win for both.

It doesn't matter who or what property is leased, most leases state that whoever is leasing the property must also maintain the property. Such as mowing, watering lawn, etc. So in my eye its not been a favor to the VFW for the city to upkeep the property, it was the responsibility of the city to do so since they were leasing it. Basically the VFW is asking for $667 per month lease, if I got my numbers right. Why is that so out of line? Huge piece of beautiful property on the creek, downtown. Well worth it. Its not as if none of that money wouldn't come back into the community. As I stated before those veterans do help people.

I think what we all need to see is the original agreement that was made up years ago. Don't forget, not only was the city maintaining the park, they also gave the VFW free water, sewer and trash pickup. Sounds to me like the VFW had it made. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This agreement was not broken and just needed renewed, however, someone had an idea that money could be made above and beyond what was already being done, for free, to them. It cost us taxpayers though to maintain the park and provide free services to their post, something I have no problem with if it keeps the park as is. I however will not support greed, the city is not being greedy and offered a fair price for land with grass on it and some wood statues. And please stop with the "we owe them" and the "they help people", we know that and as stated multiple times ad nauseum, we respect that. All we owe them is respect for their service, dignity and the thanks for being a good community organization, we do not owe them anything else, especially an astronomical price for a chunk of land next to dirtwater creek. All anyone is asking is that they be reasonable, and it is them who are not being reasonable.

valleylocal 1 year, 11 months ago

Just a reminder...the pool and the land north of the pool are not in question. The portion they are talking about is the land between the pool and VFW. I wanted to clarify that.

WrestlinRockies 1 year, 11 months ago

Follow in the footsteps of Nederland, Colorado and what they did with Frozen Dead Guy Days....sell, sell, sell.

Forget all of the bickering and the BS!

Sell it to an interest that will not cause so much opposition and will turn this into some good all the way around.

Half the events that take place down there would be Nationally recognized (under proper direction and management) and bring in ten fold the amount of revenue to the City if they would just sell it off......uh oh, wait...this is Craig and we are stuck in 1972....forget that idea!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.