Comments

Andrew Russo 2 years, 1 month ago

What are you looking for, regulation? The U.S. exported more gasoline, diesel and other fuels than it imported in 2011. Shipments abroad of petroleum products exceeded imports by 439,000 barrels a day, the department said today in the Petroleum Supply Monthly report. Check here: http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/ Read here: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0223/As-gas-prices-rise-should-US-oil-industry-stop-exporting

As gas prices rise, should US oil industry stop exporting?

US gas prices are soaring and domestic demand is falling. The oil industry says it needs to export to stay in business and avoid layoffs. Others claim that keeps supply low and gas prices high.

By Ron Scherer, Staff writer / February 23, 2012

It's a free, global market....

(When it comes to oil industry exports of gasoline, there may not be many policy options for Obama unless he wants to start to interfere with the marketplace.

“I don’t think there are any powers the president has that allow him to do that by statute or otherwise,” says Charles Ebinger, director of the Energy Security Initiative at the Brookings Institution in Washington. “I guess behind the scenes he could jawbone the industry to ask them to stop exporting for the good of the nation.”)

You want US oil companies to produce more? They are, to sell to China, Latin America and India, where our so called "job creators" have created all the jobs...

You are blaming the wrong corrupt entity, blame the corrupt oil companies....

Patrick Germond 2 years, 1 month ago

We are not energy independent. There was a brief stock pile for winter, of both domestic and foreign oil. Yea, and they sold it. That's what companies do. Don't you think if we where energy independamt that that would have made the news!!!!!! Lol. Oreilly has his head in his rear.

Do your homework, see how much product we are exporting, regardless of whether or not we are "energy independent." Then see what's going on in Cushing, Oklahoma.

If you don't believe the EIA(U.S. Energy Information Administration), Bloomberg or the Christian Science Monitor then who do you believe? U.S. Was Net Oil-Product Exporter in 2011 http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-29/u-s-was-net-oil-product-exporter-in-2011.html

"Lol. Oreilly has his head in his rear."

Nice...whatever that means to the subject.

They got rid of a stock pile. We are not yet energy independent. It would be the biggest campaign issue ever if we where. However, if we where, we still have the huge national dept, so drill baby drill and pay that thing off.

Bill Oreilly has been quoting your line for two weeks now, I figured that's where you had gotten your info. Sorry, I liked the web site though. I'm going to keep an eye on that.

I believe more oil will help our current problem, and the worlds. I'm sorry if you disagree, but hey, that's America. We both get to voice our opinions. Thanks, have a good day

The thing that bothers me the most about this matter is the road blocks to meet demand. As high as prices are every one and their brother would be drilling for black gold. Like on the wild cat days. But no, that's not allowed. Next, instead of the billions wasted on green energy companies, we could have set up and converted some of our fleet vehicles to natural gas. I drove a Schwans truck that was converted and it was great. So I'm standing by my column and the analogies in it. We need change.

(They got rid of a stock pile.) And where does that info come from? Basically, you trust the oil companies, now making record profits, to do the right thing? Export product and solve the worlds energy problems while making less profits, drill baby drill? Yeah, they'll do that. They'll decrease the price all on their own and make less profit. OPEC will go along with that. Believe what you will, trust who you will, your choice....

(Next, instead of the billions wasted on green energy companies, we could have set up and converted some of our fleet vehicles to natural gas.)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-29/trucks-run-on-natural-gas-in-pickens-clean-energy-drive.html

A Made-in-America fuel source may soon be moving tractor-trailers across the U.S.

Carriers like Ryder System Inc. (R) are buying long-haul trucks that run on natural gas, around $1.50 a gallon cheaper than diesel. As adoption grows, Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (CLNE) and Westport Innovations Inc. (WPT) plan to profit from a marriage of technology and domestic energy that has the political blessing of President Barack Obama and the financial backing of T. Boone Pickens.

Lol, yea he's doing great.

Change, we need change. I look at the pump and I see red. I guess you see excuses. Lol Epic, epic fail.

I see an Obama hater who is similar to the Bush haters in '03. The other side of the coin. Market forces spiked the price in '03 and are again. As was said in '03, the president can't control the market. I don't trust either one and trust oil companies and futures buyers even less.

(I look at the pump and I see red. I guess you see excuses. Lol Epic, epic fail.)

You're funny aren't you? Just not ha ha funny, nice discussion style.....

Lol I can't stop laughing. It happens every time I meet one of Obama's disciples. You should buy a Volt. I hear they come with a free tube of burn cream. Lol Reagan didn't give excuses, just results. And back then, we had real hope.

I wouldn't vote for any incompetent politician for president from either corrupt political party. You keep laughing, the new boss is the same as the old boss and the next will be the same as the current boss. An inept, plutocratic oligarch who comes from the two corrupt political parties that rule this corrupt system. Reagan....nobody in his administration was ever indicted and convicted. Has that trickle down economy trickled down yet? Or has the middle class been decimated by so called "free trade?" But keep laughing, support the plutocrat of your choice and hate the other while the system spits out another one for you to love or hate. And you don't even have a Constitutional right to vote. I'm laughing too. Partisan politics is highly amusing while the system rapes us all. And keep hoping for another Saint Reagan....

We should be deeply humbled and embarrassed as a nation. We were once the best in the world and the envy of the entire globe, but now the whole world is laughing at us and it didn't happen in just the last 3 years. USA #1? 40 Embarrassing Things That America Is The Best In The World At http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/usa-1-40-embarrassing-things-that-america-is-the-best-in-the-world-at

Wow, sorry about all that. I don't want to let this keep going until we're angry. I'm sorry of I've upset you. Have a good night and a good day. And for the record, I agree with a lot of your last statement.

George Robertson 2 years, 1 month ago

Patrick, your whining falls on deaf ears in the UK where they are paying upwards of $7.00 per gallon. It's called the laws of supply and demand and EVERY time the government has tried to circumvent those laws it has created a quagmire. The reason for higher gas prices is NOT the president of the United States fault. It is a result of India and China coming of age in THEIR industrial revolution. Perhaps you should appeal to the leaders of THOSE countries.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 1 month ago

Airborne:

The export numbers you cite are a little disingenuous. They are a function of what we refine, not the result of what we extract. We are able to use our refining capacity to churn out the finished products that countries like Brazil, Mexico, the Netherlands, Spain, Guatemala, Canada, France, Argentina, & Turkey can't produce on their own. Crude is the grist for that mill, and the import v. export numbers on that score are undeniable:

Total U.S. imports per month: 343,152. Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration http://205.254.135.7/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

Total U.S. exports per month: 96,933. Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration http://205.254.135.7/dnav/pet/pet_move_exp_dc_NUS-Z00_mbbl_m.htm

After flushing billions down solar-energy snowjobs, smothering offshore exploration, preaching the purchase of electric clown cars that nobody wants, 86ing the Keystone pipeline, and reducing oil lease approval to a snail's pace, the Dept of Energy is relentlessly moving closer toward a goal set by the administration at its inception: In 2008, Energy-Secretary-in-waiting Steven Chu said that what Americans pay for gasoline should be inflated "to the levels in Europe.”

France: $5.54. Germany: $5.57. UK: $5.79. Sweden: $5.80. Belgium: $5.91. Italy: $5.96. Netherlands: $6.48.

Way to go, Mr. Secretary. With just a little more effort, you and your boss's vision may soon be realized for all of us.

Brian Kotowski 2 years, 1 month ago

The import/export numbers cited above reflect barrels per month.

Good and valid points everyone. I thought about this last night after I talked to Airborne. I realized this isn't going to be solved by numbers or defending the oil companies. They would have to pay me for that service anyway. Think about the laws of nature, the universe, or God. Which ever you believe in. If there is a flood of any product, it's price will go down. Salt used to be worth more than gold, but abundance of supply has made it inexpensive. If the government would get out of the way, private people like me and you would be coming up with ways to drill some. Like in the gold rush days. So the demand is really being propped up by government restrictions.

(Airborne:

The export numbers you cite are a little disingenuous. They are a function of what we refine, not the result of what we extract.)

How is it "disingenuous" when what I cited was, "The U.S. exported more gasoline, diesel and other fuels than it imported in 2011. Shipments abroad of petroleum products exceeded imports by 439,000 barrels a day, the department said today in the Petroleum Supply Monthly report. Check here: http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/ Read here: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/022

As gas prices rise, should US oil industry stop exporting?

US gas prices are soaring and domestic demand is falling. The oil industry says it needs to export to stay in business and avoid layoffs. Others claim that keeps supply low and gas prices high.

By Ron Scherer, Staff writer / February 23, 2012"

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.